My Operation 27 years ago

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

My Operation 27 years ago

Postby Alicia Vega » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi, I'm new at this so please bear with me. I was checking out your site and the name syringomylia rang a bell. 27 years ago after the birth of my third child (a boy) I was diagnosed with this enfermity. I had no clue what this was but the doctor explained that I had a hollow space in my spinal cord which was acumulating fluids that should not be in there and that was why I had symtoms of numbness and one of my hands was like deforming (like crows hands). He told me I should consider an operation that would insert a tube in the cavity and let the fluids out. I did not get a second opinion and consulted with my husband. We being christians, put ourselves in his hands and the hands of the Surgeon. He confided in us that this was the first time he would be doing this operation. But it was a go. After the operation, which he termed successful, slowly I recovered, I quit my job and went back to my other job as a mother and housewife. I have lived a relatively normal life although I still have numbness in one of my hands (the affected one) and not much strength. I also have a constant pain on the back of the shoulder of the affected hand. I don't know if this is due to the operation or the damage already done. I don't know if I can consider getting Social Security for this ailment. If anyone can help me out here, I would appreciate it. Glad to come aboard! Bless you all.
Alicia Vega

Return to Share Your Success Story!