House does Post Traumatic Syringomyelia

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

House does Post Traumatic Syringomyelia

Postby kirafaye » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:27 am

For people who are in different countries missed it etc
http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/pl ... zg30aexpdq if that does work just search that site for season 7 episode 3 they usually have a few other links.

*Spoilers*
I really like how they showed the pain associated with it could be enough to harm yourself (I know she had psychological reasons, but I think it was more the pain), Also that it can cause paralysis (though that was pretty quick - obvious tv time) and death. I think it slightly redeemed the Chiari one - though for a tv show that is based on entertainment it did a good job anyway with both.
Australian CM/SM/EDS sufferer.
www.chiariaustralia.com - My page for Australian sufferers.
www.kirafayescorner.blogspot.com - My beauty/makeup Blog
kirafaye

Re: House does Post Traumatic Syringomyelia

Postby chiarithree » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:20 am

I agree I think they did a good job on this one compared to the Chiari one. It was a suprise to see it too, we always watch House and knew about the Chiari episode ahead of time, but not this one. I for one can appreciate the "It's not Lupus" in this one, as I have Lupus along with Chiari and Syringo, and boy did she sound alot like me to begin with, but I kept wondering where it was going, because usually House doesn't do the Lupus LOL. And it showed (for me) just how hard it is for my doctors to know for sure which is causing what symptoms in me and others like me.

Good job though, they did much better than the Chiari one.
www.chiari1dx.blogspot.com
Chiari 1 (7mm), Syringomyelia, PTC, Empty Sella, Familial Essential Tremor, UCTD, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Decompressed Dec. 09, 2nd Surgery Feb 10 due to bovine collagen patch reaction.
chiarithree

Postby tiddbit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:20 am

Oh no! I missed it! I stopped watching House a season and a half ago, except for the Chiari episode.
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy C4 to T1 and duraplasty performed May 2005. Syringo-subarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. DDD in C-spine.
tiddbit

Postby kirafaye » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Tiddbit you can watch on the link above - project free tv.

Your right it is hard when so many symptoms mix up all together.
kirafaye

Postby sheryl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 pm

How about how he diagnosed it without an MRI?
sheryl

Postby chrisw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:15 am

House didn't say she had physical pain, he alluded to psycological pain...
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 pm

I still like the Chiari episode, since I am a lesbian who has gone through ex-gay therapy. I was also on a psych eval for 72 hours because I threatened to shoot myself with a gun this year. And I'm hypothyroid. It's weird how I can relate to both episodes so much.
DX: SM (idiopathic), Crohn's disease, Graves' disease, gallstones, scoliosis, anemia
Meds: tramadol, Asacol, Cymbalta, Synthroid, fish oil supplement, multivitamin
Cyborg Ninja

Postby kirafaye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:37 am

When they talk to the maid they are told she is having a lot of back and arm pain.

She couldn't have an MRI so other ways of diagnosis had to be done like - Myelogram which they probably did in the behind the scenes assumed thing tv shows do (like how we assume they go to the bathroom and not some super human who has no need for a bladder hehehe). I think considering it is a tv show and not real life with no people called editors and actors and writers who despite having help from doctors are not themselves and use artistic licence this is about as accurate as you can get.

I like that
a) Syringomyelia has been seen on a major show (again)
b) It was pretty true to the painful symptoms, paralysis and potential death this condition has. Especially seeing we still have doctors who don't believe this causes pain or problems etc.
c) Also showed some of the consequences of chronic pain and the depression and emotional pain involved. (Yes I am aware she also had the depression over the son but it seemed to allude it was not getting better/worse because she was in constant pain on top)
kirafaye

Postby chrisw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm glad others had another take on the pain, I really thought he was alluding to psychology pain, but I like others saw it was physiological. I guess I have been jaded by all those stupid docs who think it is only psychotic.
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:55 pm

The patient had an MRI around the time of her accident. The team went back and accessed the old MRIs.

What other TV show talked about syringomyelia?
DX: SM (idiopathic), Crohn's disease, Graves' disease, gallstones, scoliosis, anemia
Meds: tramadol, Asacol, Cymbalta, Synthroid, fish oil supplement, multivitamin
Cyborg Ninja

Postby Beverley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm

They did an OK TV Hollywood job on this one. I didn't think that they lead to the pain being completely Psychological they kind of wondered about it but they didn't seem to be committed to it only being psychological... I think many of us can related to our symptoms raising an eye brow or two suspiciously by more than one Dr. that we have seen..

I feel like it can be an auto pilot response by a Dr. when they don't know or cannot figure out what is wrong with a patient to brush it off to being psychological so for the Dr's on House it would be just if they mentioned it in that way..

I do hope that people don't forget that House is a TV Drama and is not ment for medical diagnosis... The one thing that did rub me the wong way on this one what the comment that the cure is to just cut the syrinx out and she would be fine. I do not find that to be a correct statement at all. First off you cannot just cut it out like a bad spot... it is a fluid filled cavity that is now a deformation of the spinal cord. Not a cancer that can be cut out and stiched up and everything is fine. If it were like that most of us would not have continuing problems. Even the shunt is a way to help the symptoms not really a cure for the problem.

But that being said it was a pretty good House episode.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby phyrehawke » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Thank you to the original poster who noted the season/episode. I finally got to watch it on Hulu.
It did remind me of my experience a little bit but it was like compressing 15 yrs of symptoms into a week. I've had my share of psych evals too, way back when.
I'm also reminded of what somebody said after the chiari episode...if it was meant to be a documentary on the illness it would be on the Discovery Channel.
It's nice that SM got some "air time" but it really irritates me when shows like this lie to viewers with stuff like that "Oh we'll just repair it and she'll be fine". Ugh. If I hadn't been so shocked when I heard that I would've been laughing sooo hard. Yeah, we all wish it worked that way. This episode also really reminded me that patients are not the only ones who lie. Docs do too when they think that convincing you of a lie will be good for you. And sometimes it really is the kindest thing.
Rozanne/phyre
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Postby LoveTerriers » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:21 pm

I am glad someone posted this topic and glad that a syrinx was mentioned in a big t.v. series.
"Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me;for my bones are vexed..."Psalms 6:2
"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche, German Philosopher-
SM confirmed by TCI
LoveTerriers

Postby kirafaye » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

There was a bit of psychological pain being really etc etc. I am was more meaning that when House talked to the maid the maid said she had physical pain i think in her hands or her back i can't remember which this long off watching - but an outside source did say she had physical pain.

If I were the writer I would have made house tell her the pain will be gone, but to go the way some of us are and the pain not to go. Therefore he has done his best and told her she will be fine but she is not. I think that would have screwed with him because pain is a big thing to him.
kirafaye

Return to ASAP Lounge