An Unsung OTC

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

An Unsung OTC

Postby dtyree » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:32 am

Have gout, (found out it is hereditary) and my pcp will not give me a script for the med, it can damage the kidneys and diabetes has already claimed that fame. So, went on the net, one thing that has helped others is cherry juice for gout. Tried some cherry juice about 5 days ago, 2 gulps twice a day, and can now move my toes for the first time in 5 years!! I do think this is working. Found this explanation on the juice"

Cherries contain anthocyanins, the red pigment in berries. Cherry anthocyanins have been shown to reduce pain and inflammation in rats. Anthocyanins are also potent antioxidants under active research for a variety of potential health benefits. According to a study funded by the Cherry Marketing Institute presented at the Experimental Biology 2008 meeting in San Diego, rats that received whole tart cherry powder mixed into a high-fat diet did not gain as much weight or build up as much body fat, and their blood showed much lower levels of inflammation indicators that have been linked to heart disease and diabetes. In addition, they had significantly lower blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides than the other rats.

Can also attest a lower level of pain in the feet, neurological, so it might be of benefit to others, worth a try. A powder form can be ordered online or found at GNC.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Re: An Unsung OTC

Postby Amy Joe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks Dave, gonna go to GNC and get some....worth a try!

Peace
Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby razzle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

My DH has had it twice and dr. said it was Ice tea and pork doing it to him. Thanks for the cherry juice remedy. Good to know .R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby chrisw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 pm

I had my yearly physical and my cholesteol is bad, and even worse the bad one is very high and good one low. I eat otmeal with raisons 5 days a week and take fish oil pills.

Doc told me to cut colesteral and take a fish oil pill, I said "I already take 2" he said "then take 3"

I will go to GNC tomorrow and get some of this!!!

Thanks!
Chris
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby wendi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 am

Hmm, I do love me some cherries. I have been drinking plum juice as it taste way better than prune. Since I am on narcotics, having a bowel movement is not always easy and I don't like resorting to laxatives. Let me tell you, the plum juice works really, really really well. So well, I want to tell you to be careful if you try it.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby Beverley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:36 pm

David,

I need a like button for this. I don't have gout but who know it may help some of my neurological issues in my feet??
I like cherries so I think I will give it a try. I think that juice in general is something that we can ealily forget about with the ease of carrying a can of soda around. It wouldn't hurt to drink more juse and less tea and soda anyway..

Thanks!! Have great weekend.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby hegnauea » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:49 pm

This is awesome! I might pick some up too! If only they made a Cherry vanilla Latte at Starbucks haha.
Ab
hegnauea

Postby karenb » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks for the info...

The cherry juice is right in the same grocery section as the cranberry juice - I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Any idea as to whether to take it alone or with other things (such as cranberry juice)?

Karen
karenb

Postby dtyree » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:06 am

Finding pure cherry juice locally has been a challenge, it is not out there, and when found is very expensive, so resorted to the capsules.

The anthocyanins are found in red skinned fruit, cranberries, cherries, dark grapes. It liquid form, most manufacturers add sugar, and being diabetic, have to watch out for sugar content in prepared foods. But those without diabetes, go for the juice, tastes better than the pills!

Cranberry, cherry latte, might be a good addition at the coffee bars.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby Graybo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Graybo

Postby SMLady » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:31 am

I'm going to give Cherry juice a try! Wouldn't it be something if it really helped with SM pain! I can save a fortune on my monthly meds if something as simple as this helps. GNC, here I come!
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby princesk8 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 am

I can't wait to try this that is awesome!
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby Ivysmom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Try tart cherry juice concetrate. We've been using this for years and it really helps arthritis . Brownwood Acres is just one of many
internet places to order it from. Happy Thanksgiving !
Ivysmom

Return to ASAP Lounge