Spinal Cord Stimulation

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Spinal Cord Stimulation

Postby hikealaska » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:58 am

Greetings All,

My pain management doctor has suggested that I get a device implanted under my skin called a spinal cord stimulator. The purpose of the device is to block pain signals from getting to the brain. Not ALL pain signals, but the ones associated with the nerves and spasming muscles in my neck. The cool thing is that you can have the device put in temporarily and try it for a couple of weeks before putting it in "Permanently". It can be easily removed if it needs to be.

I would not be able to have another MRI again as long as the device was in. I watched the DVD and it sounds kind of like an internal tens unit. I works like a pace maker.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it with success or failure? I have a lot of research to do before deciding on this. And though it would not be an end to pain meds, it would reduce them dramatically, if it works.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Re: Spinal Cord Stimulation

Postby razzle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:18 am

put spinal cord stimulator in search box a few people have posted about it
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby tennesseewalker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Karen,

I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted a couple of months ago. My trial SCS was put in on a Thursday and taken out the following Monday (I tried bribing the doc to leave it in longer, but he said no). I had to wait a week more for insurance approval and once we had that, they scheduled me for implantation.

I'm happy to be one of those who find some relief with SCS. I hope you are too. Good luck Karen.

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby kirafaye » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Apparently they can be removed for MRI's if required according to a friend who has one. Another option is intrathecal pain pump - though that does require being on opiates. I am on that until an MRI compatible stimulator.
Australian CM/SM/EDS sufferer.
www.chiariaustralia.com - My page for Australian sufferers.
www.kirafayescorner.blogspot.com - My beauty/makeup Blog
kirafaye

Postby Deb A » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:41 pm

I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted last July> I had hoped it would reduce my pain by 25-50%, but I have not had even that much relief. And now I cannot have an MRI to help my neurologist and neurosurgeon with treating my CM - it was found with a CT. I guess the stimulator works for some people, but the surgery is painful, I have some scars now and I would not do it again. I am even considering having it removed.

Deb
Deb A

Postby chrisw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I know some people swear by the stimulators and it helps them tremendously. Others do not see as much relief. I guess it would totally depend on the location of the nerve damaged within the spinal cord. I do want to try this myself but have not as of yet because I have been told is this option is only for people with stable cm/sm conditions. I would try anything that would let me be more productive and live my life as much as possible!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Return to ASAP Lounge