Special day today for Pit Bulls

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Special day today for Pit Bulls

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 am

Today is National Pit Bull Awareness Day!

I know some love the breed and that some fear the breed...however if for no other reason we can pay tribute, give thanks to Sergeant Stubby the most decorated American Military dog....yes a Pit Bull! From WW1, saving many troops from being gassed.

Even if this post changes just one mind, that's a great thing for the breed. Google famous Pit Bulls, you'd be amazed and enlightened!

Amy Joe & Reese....my nearly 2 yr old American Pit Bull Terrior, the famous cat walker on my street!!!!
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Re: Special day today for Pit Bulls

Postby ratherjust_beme » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:59 pm

I happen to think Pit Bulls are awesome dogs. Yes we have all heard the horror stories about them but those are HUMAN created horror stories. People who LOVE dogs and treat them well would love a Pit Bull as a pet. They are loyal, loving and silly...great traits for family dogs. My husband and I have had a few. One of ours was a Pit Bull/Shepard cross and "Raffie" was the best dog in the world. Everyone who met him loved him. We were sure Raffie was a human in a dog suit!! The dog in the long ago favorite Spanky and Our gang, Petey...was a Pit Bull.
I now own a Great Dane and swear shes another human in a dog suit but I wouldnt hesitate to own another Pit Bull if I could.
Hope everyone is having a comfortable pain manageable day
sheila
ratherjust_beme

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Sheila, I got a Great Dane mix. My Rescue from OH, she is 7 months old and the biggest of my pack (PB, Black lab and Shephard mix). Her name is Molly, you are so right BOTH think they are human.

I took them both today off leash at a local state park. They took a swim and ran...ran....ran. When I got home, they slept for hours!! Of course we had to make a drive thru the donut shop for their free plain donut holes.

Thanks for being a Pit bull lover!!

Amy Joe
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
Tufts Medical in Boston
Amy Joe

Postby jchebert1979 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 pm

I fostered a pit bull recently who was taken from a neglectful owner. She was the sweetest dog I've ever had. She was always so happy. She never growled once while I had her (for 6 months), never barked, got along great with all other animals including cats, and just loved everybody. She was very smart and obedient too. I taught her to sit, shake, and lay down in about 20 minutes. She did get a little too excited sometimes and would jump on people which I had to correct, but it was never aggressive, she was just a big happy dog. I didn't get her riled up often but when I did play a little rough with her she would put her mouth on my hand but never bite down. They get a bad rap because of the damage they are capable of but the truth of the matter is that small dogs bite many times more people per year than pit bulls.

I was so sad when I adopted her out but it was the best thing for her because I couldn't giver her enough exercise due to my pain and that I live in an apt. I still babysit her from time to time though.

jchebert1979

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:58 am

Oh bless you she is sweet! It is very easy to fall in love with them....they love to cuddle and give kisses!

I wished I have more space and strength for I would foster however having 4 dogs now....it would be to much. Puppies I may do in the future.

Educating the public is so important for the breed. Reporting BAD owners to Animal Control. Assisting in spay / neuter for Pit's....these are the things we can do to help protect the breed.

Amy Joe
Tufts Medical in Boston
Amy Joe

Postby jchebert1979 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm

They recently opened up a low cost spay and neuter center where I live so I had her spayed and brought her UTD on all of her shots for about $75. I also ordered a microchip implant online. I know how to inject and it is pretty easy if you aren't scared to do it. The vet will charge you $100 but it was $5 for the chip and $15 for a lifetime of tracking service.

If I hadn't had to sell my house to pay for medical bills I would have definitely kept her as I used to have a good size yard. So many people were scared of her until they met her. I told her that the only thing that they should be scared of was being licked to death.
jchebert1979

Return to ASAP Lounge