My Dog's meds

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

My Dog's meds

Postby wendi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 am

are almost as bad as mine. Dee Dee has been on Hydrocodone for her coughe and aches and pains. She will be 14 in January. Over the weekend, her back legs were giving out on her. I took her to the vet on Monday and he Xray'd her spine. He said it was inflamed. Now she is on steriods and tramadol. Sounds like our meds huh? My poor little ole lady. I have to carry her down the steps and up the steps to do her business. I hate that she is in such pain, poor thing. I was worried that it was some kind of tumor, but thank goodness it is just old age.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Re: My Dog's meds

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 am

Yes, most of the meds the dogs are getting are the same we get. My husband used to prescribe our oldest dog, who past away in may, salazopyrine, a med which helps against bowel problems and arthritis. Our vet used to laugh at him, but our meds were cheaper, can you imagine?

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby wendi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 am

Oh, yes. I should have gotten the Doggie insurance when it was offered. My hubby said we can afford it. We have 3 doxies now and our vet, meds and food bills are huge! They are on special food and meds etc. What you do for the animals that you love tho.
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby Janice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Wendi!

Poor Dee Dee! I hope the meds are helping her with the pain. I'm also happy to hear she doesn't have a tumor. I'm very sorry to hear you're not managing so well w/the fall weather. I hope there's something that can be done to help you manage better. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, ((((((((((((((((((((Love & Big Hugs to you))))))))))))))))))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby wendi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks Janice! You too are in my prayers as I am always thinking of you and how you are doing. You are my hero sweetie!

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 am

Wendi, you can get scripts filled @ Walmart. Just have the vet write it out! Carry their $4.00 listing and see if you can get something off the list.

Has your baby been tested for Lymes?

You are so right what we do for our pets! I have a great vet BUT only go for a check up yearly....shots I do @ Petco for it costs so much less. I have 4 dogs due next month!!

When I get a script filled I always ask for double...same $4.00 co-pay and this gives me extra in those emergency cases.

Thankfully I am on the list of ripped bag dog food....they get Beneful & or Pedigree. Big dogs eat a lot. This saves me $35-$40 per week!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby wendi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks for the tips. The one script she is one is a compound that is made up at a pharmacy and I get that for $35. I shopped it and the other one wanted $60! I can't get that at Walmart since it is compound. I do appreciate it. I have been going to this vet since I had Shorty Long, my first Doxie, so about 20 years. I just would never go anywhere else for my babies. There are 2 other vets there and I refuse to see them. Only Dr Terry for my girls. He has seen DeeDee since she was a pup. He also only charges one office visit when I bring all 3, so he does try and help keep the cost down. They have all been vaccinated for lyme, which I know does not mean they can't get it, but she will be 14 in January. The steriods seem to be helping.

She is going down the steps, but still needs to be picked up to go up. What a drag it is getting old.............
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby aspen13 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I always thought that was funny, how pets are on the same med's we get. Our cat Chip (RIP) was very sick and was prescribed a very strong antibiodic 1/4 pill a day. My brother in law was prescibed the exact same thing, one pill a day. I was actually livid because my cat was only 8lbs and my brother in law 160 lbs, it didn't seem right. This was banfield and I complained to the board about this doctor. I didn't feel he knew what he were doing. They also gave us way to many of the pills, and told him to take them for way too long. In the end the poor guy had FIP and we had to put him to sleep. When we adopted him we knew he was sick, but hoped for the best that we could give him the proper care he needed, no matter the $.

We adopted him when our other cat was stolen, we didn't think we would ever see him again and 4.5 months later he was found 20 miles away...! He had a broken leg and was very dehydrated and skinny. Thanksfully he's all better now. That was an expensive year for pets. Some friends said we shouldn't have spent the money to fix his leg and had him put down, but after all he had been through and the many years of companionship he gave us, we had to do what was responsbile, and luckily we could afford it. This is the same person who talked about putting down her dog because he is too hyper, thankfully she is giving him up for adoption instead.

Thank you for being a good pet parent.
CM DXed in 2004 - 9.3 MM herniation
Pineal Gland Cyst DXed in 2008 - 11 MM
Degenerative Disc Disease L5 and S1
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby wendi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 am

On Friday, I was in the bathroom and Dee Dee was on the couch. I heard the dogs barking. When I came out of the bathroom, Dee Dee was in the kitchen and now she can't walk! Her back legs are paralyized! She had a follow up appt set for yesterday afternoon so off we went. This can happen to doxies. Her vet is so good, he said, well the other two probably knocked her off the couch and finished off her disc it is now blown. You can have her get surgery for $3000 or I can do therapy on her and we can start today. The therapy will run about $500 to $800. She got a shot of steriod and a laser on her spine then it was in the water tank that has a treadmill. He only worked with her for a little bit. The good news is she does still have some feeling in her back paws and she can stand on them for a few seconds.

I love her so much, but she will be 14 in January and I can't afford nor does it make sense to spend that kind of money on surgery for her. The vet says she will come thru it ok, but then she will have to come back to him for therapy anyway. So for now, she gets carried everywhere and the other two are jealous thinking she is getting special attention. She gets exercises to do at home. I have to take her today at 1, Wednesday at 8am and Saturday at 8am. Next week, who knows. 10 sessions are discounted at $500 which I will sign up for, so for now, she is on steriods and pain meds and therapy. I am leaving here early to go home and pick her up and bring her back to the office so I can take her from here. My employee was already scheduled to leave at noon today for a Dr appt and was not coming back, so I have to close for a few hours for the dog, Geez, Happy Thanksgiving! Like I don't have enough stress.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Return to ASAP Lounge