Thanksgiving

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Thanksgiving

Postby hikealaska » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I will be interested to see how many respond. I am looking to branch out on what is my usual Thanksgiving dinner. I have the usual "non negotiable" dishes. But I thought it would be fun if we all shared unique side dishes or our own dishes that others could make. Help spur ideas for others. Anyone interested?

For example: I make prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Just take 1/2 a slice of prosciutto around a piece of asparagus. Make enough for each person to have about 10 pieces. Line a pan with foil and bake at 425 for 20 minutes until the prosciutto is crisp. It is delicious and easy to make.

Anyone else with unique ideas?
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby wendi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 am

Oh, that sounds deliscous. I am not a good cook, but there is an old family favorite I like to make at the holidays. My Mom called it Aunt Martha's goop.

1 lg can of fruit cocktail
1 bag mini marshmallows
3 ripe bananas
1 lg container of Cool Whip
1 tbsp corn starch

Drain the juice from the fruit cocktail and put into small pan. In large bowl, poor the fruit, cut up bananas and poor marshmallows on top. Heat the juice from the fruit cocktail. I take the cornstarch in mix in a little cold water so it does not clump. When the juice starts to boil, add the corn starch. When it starts to thicken, remove from heat. Poor over fruit mixture. After that is mixed well, mix in the Cool Whip. Refegeriate. You can also add other fruit like manderin oranges or others that you like. Stir befor serving.

My Mom always served this at every Holiday and put on the table with the rest of the food, now my DH and his family say it is desert and won't bring it to the table till after dinner. I still think it belongs on your plate for a little sweet like the cranberry sauce, but to each his own, I guess. It does make a nice dessert too and is really easy to make.

Great idea, Karen!

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby razzle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 am

Hey thanksgiving is not thanksgiving if you dont have deviled eggs . I fix every year , big hit.R

wendi sounds like ambrosia salad kinda
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby ratherjust_beme » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 am

For our Day After Thanksgiving Dinner...I am making Butternut Squash Soup. My hubby and I made it before for a Thanksgiving Dinner at the Childcare Center I worked and it was a huge hit. It will be ready long before everything else so it gives people something to have while waiting for the tons of food.
sheila
ratherjust_beme

Postby wendi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 am

Roz: Yes, but no coconut.
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby chrisw » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Slight varients on the "core" pumpkin pies.

I have been experimenting lately with splenda and have found that even side by side people can't tell the difference between that and sugar in pumpkin pies. Also, people CAN tell the difference between pilsbury pie crust and generic but can not tell between pilsbury and homemade! This can save some time (and calories)!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Return to ASAP Lounge