Just having a rough night...

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: Just having a rough night...

Postby karenb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi all,

Just a little update...

Dad's Parkinson's is much worse, but we've been able to bring his weight up by about a pound in the past week (to 160 - he's over 6 ft tall, and sank from 172 to 157 in the first few weeks after my mother's passing).

I'm now having lunch with Dad daily and am coaching him through his speech therapy "cue's".

As he finishes Occupation & Physical Therapy, I will probably assume responsibility for at least part of his on-going prograom. I found out on Monday that he apparently blames the physical therapy department for my mother's death... I know he can't think straight or reason logically, but that idea is locked in his brain for some reason I can't even begin to explain.

For now, I'm just hanging in day by day. Thank you for your ongoing good wishes and prayers - I really do need them much more than you could imagine.

Karen
karenb

Postby chrisw » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 am

We are here for you!

(((Hugs)))
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby karenb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the support. I really need it these days... it's pretty rough right now.

Karen
karenb

Postby chrisw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I just can't begin to imagine, I am so stressed out that I can't even think or function. I couldn't imagine how your able to do all you can. Given your mothers history of giving for others, I know she is quite proud of you following in her footsteps for all you have done for both of each of them during this past period of your life.

(((((Hugs)))))
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby judyg » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 am

Karen,

I haven't been keeping up with this board or my email lately and but I'm slowly catching up.

It's good that your Dad has gained some weight back and you are a very devoted Daughter and an amazing and strong person. I know your Mom is very proud of you and somewhere inside your Dad knows all that you have done and do and is proud of you too.

I hope you are keeping up with taking care of yourself too! Remember long warm showers will wash that salt that makes us blotchy and red........ And be sure to wear your red stilettos for your concerts so you can feel as special as you are.

I'm keeping you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Judy
judyg

Postby karenb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to take things a day at a time.

I'm now coaching my father in the basic mechanisms of how to eat and swallow... a very sobering task that occupies 2 hours (minimum) each day. I'm also gradually pulling memories out of him (the dx of Parkinson's & treatment have really helped his cognitive abilities).

I'm trying to be thankful for every moment we have together, even though a lot of them are tough. I'm trying to take care of myself, but am not doing that good a job of it (or maybe it's just the increase in pain & symptoms that makes me feel that way).

I'm current reading "Tuesday's with Morrie"... maybe that's making me more philosophical. I'm also realizing that I feel incredibly guilty right now because I couldn't clone myself & give attention to both of my parents at the same time. I am, however, at peace - Mom was much sicker, and Dad was so devoted to her that I think he made himself sick. I gave her my full attention while she was alive, which is what he would have wanted. Now I'm giving my full attention to him.

BTW, I am so glad that I was able to get the nursing scholarship established in their honor/memory while both of them were still alive. Mom passed away before the first scholarship was awarded, but my father has had the pleasure of meeting the first recipient, and is actually able to understand what it all means. It was an especially touching moment.

Karen
karenb

Previous

Return to ASAP Lounge