success!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

success!

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I completed my first trapping of a feline! Can't tell you how excited I am! Big tom tom stray. He will be transported in the AM for neutering and shots! Recover and come back to my area Monday! I will continue to feed him. He just will not be fathering anymore!

He is a big beautiful grey cat! I can't have anymore thou!

Maybe next month I will get 2!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Re: success!

Postby chrisw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 am

I caught a skunk last week, want the next one?
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Amy Joe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 am

ummm no thanks Chris. My black lab still has a skunk smell when he gets wet.

Do you trap stray and ferral cats also?

Amy Joe
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
Tufts Medical in Boston
Amy Joe

Postby chrisw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Um... it is illegal to trap cats in my county.

I am livid about the way they choose to interpret the VA law, basically as a cost savings method for the local government. I mean who in their right mind would consider feral cats as "wildlife"???

I used to orgainize groups along with petitioning local governments for cat leash laws and other wildlife protection methods. If I find time in the future I will restart my efforts.
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Amy Joe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:20 pm

WOW that is just crazy Chris. I am not using traps that harm the animals. It would not cost your county a dime to just allow animal groups self funded to trap S-N, vac. and release.

Last month in my city I attended a meeting which included our Animal Control Officer, Board of health, several animal advocate groups and volunteers like me. We obtained permission from the city for feline trap & release since our city budget has nothing left for felines. BOH is searching for a city location to set up a bi-monthly mash type unit to keep the felines in town rather then the volunteers having to travel. We will know next month where the location is going to be set up!! Volunteers will still need to provide a warm, safe place for a 24 hour recovery. If need be my walk out basement can house dozens overnight.

With limited ability to join different organizations, this is one I can handle. I feed them anyway. I can not tell you how good it makes me feel to know this big Tom Tom is healthy, neutered and unable to transmitt Feline HIV.

Amy Joe
Tufts Medical in Boston
Amy Joe

Postby chrisw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 am

Or have thousands of offspring to kill millions of birds!

All our county would have to do is charge for a cat license, like a dog licence and this would pay for all the neutering! If I have to pay to have a dog, why shouldn't my neighbor have to pay for their cat?
chrisw

Postby Amy Joe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 am

True very true! It would also raise needed revenue for animal control department.

Amy
Tufts Medical in Boston
Amy Joe

Return to ASAP Lounge