Anyone else have Hypothyroid?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Anyone else have Hypothyroid?

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I had my thyroid removed in July because of a cancerous nodule. They took the whole gland out and I saw the Endocrinologist a month later. In the meantime, my energy level had dropped to zero. Even laying down was exausting.

The Endo was hesitant to give me T-3 along with T-4. Said your body breaks T-4 into T-3 and eventually your T-3 level should increase. She's checking TSH levels which were 78.68 in August, 11 in November, and 7 in December. TSH should be between 1 and 2. She finally gave me both T-4 and T-3, but my hair is still falling out, I still have no brain (used to at least have half a brain LOL), my energy level is up from zero to about 10%, my eyes are so dry and feel like there's sand in them, and my usually oily skin is so dry it looks ashy.

Has anyone else had severe hypothyroid? When does it get better?

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Re: Anyone else have Hypothyroid?

Postby medicpt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Since you no longer have a Thyroid or parathyroid gland, you must have artificial hormone to regulate your system to resume the function of the thyroid. The TSH is being mass produced trying to stimulate a thyroid that isn't there. The endo probably wants to find you comfortable level, but apparently you are not there yet. I have hypothyroid, thankfully it is well regulated, but prior to diagnosis, I was ALWAYs tired, wanting to nap in the middle of day, bed by 7PM and feeling guilty about it, then sleeping 12 hours whenever I could and wanting to stay in bed in the morning. Constipation, hair loss.... weight gain....It is tough to regulate when you have a poorly functioning thyroid, but I imagine even harder when you have no regulatory assistance from the gland.

things like stress can alter amt of hormone used as well, so it is tough to know how much a person uses, except to regulate over time and see the pts trending labs. It is also a little "safer" to be under-regulated than over-regulated ( hyperthyroid) which can lead to cardiac dysrhythmias and other scary stuff. However, you have a lot of energy when in hyperthyroid..... I would love that part!

Hope this helps, hope your hair stops falling out and more importantly that you have some energy to function!!

BTW, you must stay consistent with the medication....Take it same time of day, don't miss, don't take with food (if affects absorption).

Best Wishes, wendi2
medicpt

Postby Amy Joe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 am

Hashimotos here :( My thyroid swings like a carnaval acrobat. I take my medication same time every day..

The new standards are actually .3 to 3.0

When mine is in these levels I am good. When they are out of this level.....it's bad and takes 6 weeks on new med level.

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm just so impatient to be better.

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to ASAP Lounge