Blackeyed peas

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Blackeyed peas

Postby razzle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:19 am

Black-Eyed Peas
A Southern Tradition for Luck and Prosperity in the New Year
Happy New year yall
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: Blackeyed peas

Postby zipperhead2009 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Razzle my family always does ham hocks and black eyed peas on new years day..but I'm from the south...what can I say...yummmy yummmy!!!
zipperhead2009

Postby chrisw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:07 am

Peas are for the coins but greens (collards) if your from the South are for the cash/bills.

I smoked a whole shoulder, some ribs, and a few turkey legs. The neighbors made cornbread, collards, black eyed peas, more beans, we had both NC BBQ sauces and even SC mustard sauce!

Talk about some good eating....
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby razzle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 am

yep yu are correct Chris

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby chrisw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks Roz! There are more traditions I just can't recall anymore, pork means something, or perhaps we just use it in place of seasonings down here; collards have to be cooked with pork, fatback if your um... poor, and Jawl if your more affluent. The black eyed peas are in fact called hoppin' John and of course, contain pork as the main seasoning.

In the mountains of VA/NC it is important to give a brick of coal if your the first person to visit the house on new years day, in the piedmont or sand hills they just look at you like your backward hick if you do this!

Also- Oops, sorry all, the parentheses where suppossed to be around (collards if your southern) vs. just around the collards!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby wendi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:10 am

They eat pork and sauerkraut here in PA. Must be the pennsylvanie Dutch thing. My Dh made us a Turkey yesterday which was nice as now we have our own left overs. I do love Turkey sandwiches.

I remember living down south and being told you are not supposed to wash clothes on New Years Day or someone in your family will pass away that year. Some old wives tale I was told while living there.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby hegnauea » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

We have pork and sauerkraut too - apparently its also a German thing and my grandmother used to do it every year, now my Aunt that lives in town cooks (I'm happy as long as its not me!).

Happy New Year!
Ab
hegnauea

Postby razzle » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:24 am

Cabbage is another "good luck" vegetable that is consumed on New Year's Day by many. Cabbage leaves are also considered a sign of prosperity, being representative of paper currency. In some regions, rice is a lucky food that is eaten on New Year's Day.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby wendi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Yup, PA Dutch is basically German. Isn't sauerkraut made from Cabbage? Yuck! I love cole slaw tho.
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Return to ASAP Lounge