New puppy

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

New puppy

Postby keggler 1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello all.....My brother and his wife raise small breed dogs,and they are shipped all over. He mainly has Yorkie's but also very small Min-Pin's and Maltz. He also has a rare breed Shiba Uno's(from Japan) that look like a fox but smaller, Anyway he called me and said he had a Yorkie small runt that needed extra help(Thrive to survive)and swimmers .I took her home and within a few days she is up and running around eating and playing just like any other puppy would be doing.At 9 weeks old she looks like a newborn baby. Vet said she weighs 10 1/2 ozs.My other yorkie, Suddie is the sister to her mother,she was to small to breed and I rescued her when she was about 2.

I guess I'll have my hands full for a while, but she adapted to a routine very quick,and actually heads for her crate when she's tired or thirsty.I found an old t-shirt worked great to calm her down and have a feeling of security. I guess its the smell.

Wish me luck,and everyone keep our friends in Australia in your thoughts and prayers.They are experiencing some of the worst flooding in years.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
keggler 1

Re: New puppy

Postby chrisw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 pm

This is great news but it is missing one thing- PICTURES!!!

Too bad our "meeting" time clashed because pippa would have loved to meet you in person too (my mom said you guys had a good talk though!). Of course I would have too but I am not as cute and fuzzy as she is!

I also want to put in a note for everyone else out here in asap cyber world, yorkies and other lower maintenance dogs are awesome therapy. The assistance dogs provide in any disabling condition is proven continuously to lower pain levels. They have been shown to lower stress levels, blood pressure and actually increase memory and brain functions. Yorkies in perticular are easy to train with positive methods. My actually can tell if I am about to fall- I take her where I am allowed to and she loves sitting in a shopping cart. Multible times she has started growing and pawss/licks my hand before I am about to have a "drop attack". If I fall she starts barking, luckily I haven't passed out/knocked out yet when she is with me but if I did she would get attention quickly!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Amy Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 am

Congratulations!! Puppies are awesome. To help the runt out is even better!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby razzle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 am

congrats need pics
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby wendi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:59 pm

That is wonderful news. Congratulations! You needed a new baby in your life and she sounds like just the thing like you needed each other. Awwwwwww.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby keggler 1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks yes Sweet Pea will fit in great here.This is my third yorkie,and as Chris said earlier,they are great therapy dogs.My first one Scotter would always go to bed when I did,and if during the night,if I was vomiting in my sleep,he would jump on me and bark.If I was having any problems,he seemed to know. He got intestinal cancer from bad dog food (Joy).There were a lot of dogs that got sick here in the Carolinas,and most all died from the dog food.I feed my big dogs Apex a holistic dog food made with no by-products.The puppy I put on Bil-Jack-which is one of the best puppy foods you can get.My other dog Suddie is a little jealous but will come around.

keggler 1

Postby wendi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Ok, Jerry, How many does that make in your home now dogwise?
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby chrisw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think Jerry is enjoying teasing us with no pics? :twisted:

Jerry, I am so sorry about that bad dog food. That is so sad. I had to give pippa a squeeze and a kiss when I read that.
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby keggler 1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Ok truth be known-----I have Suddie 5yr yorkie,now Sweet Pea the puppy,A German Sheppard,Lucas 2yrsI rescued last year along with a Bubba a Rottwiller 2yrs ,thats the sweetest dog I have ever met.Two parrots Big Boy and Jojo.Miss kitty and the dumpster kitty (No name yet)

So yes I have a large vet bill,but its better than stress and pain. Actually my wife says I communicate better with the animals than my human counterparts.

I'll put some pic on facebook,the whole lot soon.

ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby wendi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Wow! What a zoo you have going there! Animals are the best tho. Do they all get along? Well, I mean the dogs. I have seen some cute pics of cats and dogs sleeping together. Since I lost Dee Dee at Thanksgiving I am down to 2 dogs. I still miss her terribly. My DH said no more dogs, but if someone said they had a wiener that needed a good home, I would take it in. Our house is a wiener dog house.

I have heard that Parrots can live 70-80 years. How old are they?

Time to go Dr Doolittle, enjoy your menagarie.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby chrisw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Wow! I can't believe the yorkies tolerate the rottwieller! I've had to pull my other yorkie (estranged ex got him and I miss him fiercely!) Off of a couple rottwiellers! In my experience for some reason yorkies seem to hate rottweilers, german shepards, and bulldogs. My little Pippa is great around labs, even saint bernards, but those three she hates and tries to attack! She even chases, but doesn't attack, a boxer a neighbor has! The boxer is scared to death of her!

For some reason this is a common trait and is one of the leading causes of death for yorkies. These three breeds don't try to hurt the yorkies, only shake them around trying to get the yorkies off of their necks!

As much as I try to socialize pippa I just can't get her around those three breeds!

Thank you for being such a great rescue worker! And I too am told I communicate better with animals than people!
chrisw

Postby youngwife » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Congratulations on your newest addition! I love my yorkie mix!! :)
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby princesk8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't have any doggies, but I have 3 kitties. Two of which we rescued. They are awesome when I don't feel well. Cassidy, my russian blue hangs out with me on the couch when I'm in pain or just feeling low. Ginger, my Maine Coon, comes up on the bed in the morning to cuddle and also to check on me when I get my lovely leg cramps in the middle of the night. I hate that I freak her out sometimes with my moaning and groaning! And last but not least, our feral mutt calico who is now such a love bug sleeps right up against my leg no matter how much I toss, turn, kick etc. I don't know what I would do without my fur babies. My husband likes to tease that they get more attention than he does, but he loves them just as much as I do!

Have fun with your furry family!!! :mrgreen:
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Return to ASAP Lounge