Rant about SSI

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Rant about SSI

Postby chrisw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:13 pm

My neighbor applied this spring for SSI, she was turned down twice and has gone to the 2nd appeal in frfont of the judge and has been awarded SSI.

I applied 1 year before her, and have been told my hearing in front of the judge shouldn't be until at least 2012... my 1st denial took 20 months, and my 2nd denial took 4 months and then I was told my hearing would be in about 18 months!!! That is 3 1/2 years!!!

Plus, I have gone through all types of testing and independent medical reviews. She has only seen one doctor!

Mine is because I am all screwed up with irreversable SM...

She was approved because she is too fat and can't stand because her knees can't support her weight!!!

This is 3&%*%&#( %&#($& $&#(% unbelivable!!! Approved in 12 months because she is too fat!!!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Re: Rant about SSI

Postby razzle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm

that sucks . cant you go for SSD ?
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby princesk8 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm

That is what is so messed up with our lovely government! I was also wondering if you would be able to apply for SSD? I can't get SSI because I am working, but even if I stop working my husband makes too much money. Which to me is crazy since we really can't get by if I had no income at all. I thought about getting the doctor to convince my short term disability through work that I need to cut down to part time, but then I know the insurance company will fight me on that. Oh it's all such a headache and no on seems to care! (except those of us that have to deal with it!) I love this board, it has been really helpful. I'm sorry this is happening to you, it's just crazy!! Can you get someone to help you or one of those companies that are supposed to assist like the ones mentioned on here?
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby chrisw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Sorry- I meant SSDI or whatever it is.... Disability! For Being Fat!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Claudine » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Chris
Have you thought about getting an attorney who specializes in social security cases to help you?
My friend was denied twice but she hired an attorney and finally won her case. She received a nice sum for 2 years of retroactive benefits !
Good luck to you. I know it must be very frustrating when you compare your situation to your neighbor's.
Claudine
Claudine

Postby chrisw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:12 am

Oh,

I have an attorney! Thanks for everyones good advice!! This isn't a post about me and my case.

This is a post about the stupidity of SSDI jerking us around while they give it to others for um.. things like being fat!

I guess I should just gain 100 pounds!
chrisw

Postby angie7 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm

I know what you mean! I fought for SSD for 4 years before I was approved and my friend's sister was approved for being too fat the first time. Then had gastric bypass surgery, lost ALL the weight but still collects SSD!!!!! Meanwhile a friend of mine who has MS and can barely walk is still fighting for SSD for over 3 years now. That's the lovely gov't :)
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby Lisa85 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:31 am

Chris,
People getting approved for things like being fat is my number 1 pet peeve!!! Absolutly riduculous! While people like us, who are suffering through no fault of our own, are put through even more hell!!! My lawyer (whom I hired as soon as I was denied the first time), filed my appeal in Louisiana. The turn around time is much faster there, than here in MI. It was 1 1/2 years from first filing to approval for me. The judge came up here for the hearing. He was very nice. Went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable.
The govt needs to get their heads out of their @%%#% and stop approving people like that and jerking around people with real problems!!!
Praying that things go better for you,
Gentle hugs
Lisa
SM C4-C7, 1.4mm anterior-posterior and 2mm lateral. Mild bulging of disks at C5-C6 effacing anterior CSF space. T1-T4 54mm, hydromyelia thoracolumbar junction extending over 47mm. L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. Tethered cord, Hypothyroidism.
Lisa85

Postby razzle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 am

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby chrisw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 pm

razzle wrote:tRY ALLSUP

http://www.allsup.com/

Oh, I forgot about them! She used them because her employer and their disability contract with them. After allsup filed the initial claim and it was denied allsup dropped her and told her she didn't have a case! a couple months later she was denied again and appealled to a hearing...
chrisw

Postby karenb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Chris,

Allsup handled my case, on behalf of my employer. They took my short-term disability files, condensed them into an SSD application, and requested my review. The only delay I had was because I had hand surgery the week they sent the forms and couldn't open the envelope for a couple of weeks.

Really - I'm not kidding - my experience was excellent!

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:31 am

my husband got ssd with Allsup very quickly

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to ASAP Lounge