Having Hip Surgery

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Having Hip Surgery

Postby aspen13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm

So I decided to move forward with hip surgery for my Femoracetabular Impingement. My socket is too deep and my femoral head and socket hip each other when I move my hip, it's causing a labrum tear. I am so nervous. The wait list is 3 months behind, so I have lots of time to think about it. Funny thing is to fix the mechanical issue they have to remove bone from the rim of the socket and top of my femor where they connect. So I am having more bone taken out!

It's an anthroscopic out patient surgery. I will be on crutches for 4 weeks, and VERY limited activity for at least three months. The healing takes about 6-12 months. So no running (can't do that anyways, lol), but also no skating...I am sad about this as I am supposed to start to learn my axel. I was so happy when I was able to return to skating after my PFD surgery...I will miss another 6+ months of ice time.

The doctor said it's way harder recovery then a total hip replacement, with mixed results. He said there was no benefit in waiting to have the surgery...so here I go.

Wish me luck!
CM DXed in 2004 - 9.3 MM herniation
Pineal Gland Cyst DXed in 2008 - 11 MM
Degenerative Disc Disease L5 and S1
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Re: Having Hip Surgery

Postby chrisw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Good luck and I hope the wait doesn't drive you nuts!

Just curious- why don't they just do a replacement if the recovery is so bad? Did I already ask this and I forgot ha ha ha?
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby aspen13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 pm

I am only 28 and replacements only last about 10 years :)
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby angie7 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I had a labrum tear along with ripped cartilige. They repaired the tear with stitches and the cartilige was beyond repair so they had to remove a piece and left it bone on bone! I am not going to lie, the recovery was very hard. I was suppose to be in a wheelchair for 8 weeks but circumstances beyond my control came up and I had to walk on it at 5 weeks. It'll be a year in April since my surgery. I'm still in pain but I think that's due to the bone on bone pain. Compared to how it was before, it's much better! I was on a cane but should've been in a wheelchair before surgery. I could barely walk, it was incredibily painful. I'm 31 now so a hip replacement was out for me too but they think I will need one someday just hopefully not too soon.

Now I'm pretty much back to normal. I still am able to exercise, walk, play with my kids, etc. I do have minimal pain but manageable compared to what I was in. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby wendi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 am

Good Luck! Remind us closer to the time as us cm brains will forget.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby aspen13 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Angie, sorry you had to go through that. My pain is an annoyance right now, but not bad enough that I take anything for it. I compensate enough for it to protect my hip and make sure I don’t move it in ways that really hurt. I am having burning pain in my thigh/groin and have a huge knot, the doctor said this is all from being in pain and favoring the leg.

My reason for having the surgery now is to salvage any cartlidge or not make it worse. Bone on bone contact is what I hope to avoid, that can lead to arthritis…which is why you will most likely need a hip replacement. There is no guarantee with me having the surgery that I won’t need my hip replaced down the road. FAI as a cause for tears is new, about 5-10 years old, so there aren’t any long term studies to track surgical outcomes.

Did you have bone work done? Or just the labrum fixed and cartlidge removed? Do you have FAI as well, or just had the tear?
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby angie7 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I didn't have any bone work done, just the repair of the tear and the removal of cartilige. They thought I had an impingement and it's not out of question yet either. I hope you are pain free once you have surgery. The recovery is hard but worth it.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby aspen13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks! I think the bone work is what is so scary, I don't want to lose stabioility of the bone. They will shave down the socket and femur, yikes!
Hyperreflexia
aspen13

Postby karenb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:22 am

It sounds like it's good you're having this done earlier rather than later. Maybe focusing on keeping the muscles in the area strong would help keep your mind off the surgery a little? (Plus, that usually helps the recovery process.)

Good luck, and please keep us posted! (You know what a forgetful bunch we are... I think it just leaks out my ears while I sleep at night!)

Karen
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge