Chiropractor for someone with SM?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Chiropractor for someone with SM?

Postby nic1977 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:17 pm

I remember when I first got diagnosed with SM, and the NS I went to and I can remember him telling me to NEVER let a chiropractor touch me, what does everyone think? My SM is from t-5 to t-10, I went to a chiropractor just for a consultation and he just felt around on my back and neck and such and he told me I have slipping rib syndrome and that I had 2 ribs out and that my neck had some major range of motion issues. So I am asking has anyone went to a chiropractor on here and were they ever told NOT to go to one? Did it help if you did go? Any info would be great. Thanks, Nicole
nic1977

Re: Chiropractor for someone with SM?

Postby *Hope* » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Yeah, I've always heard that you should not go to the chiro. They can't see what's happening inside and the damage could be severe. Also, wouldn't your rib area and the area being manipulated fall right in the thoracic section where your syrinx falls? That's a big no-go in my book. Please be careful.
CM1
*Hope*

Postby nic1977 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am

Yes thats right in the area of the syrinx and the chiro has looked this up on the internet and he has found numerous articles saying there is no reason he cannot do it. I am calling my NS today and asking him. I am being careful it scares me, but he says I have 2 ribs out in the area that I have the most pain...so...UGH!! I dont know...thanks for your reply.
nic1977

Postby *Hope* » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Seriously a BAD idea! Post this same question on the "Chiari, Syringo, and Related Disorders" board and see if more people weigh in on it. There are people a lot wiser than I am that will be able to tell you why you shouldn't do it.
CM1
*Hope*

Postby *Hope* » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Duh! I just remembered that we can do a search on here. Type "chiropractor" into the search box at the top right of the screen and search the 10 pages of posts. Read as much as you can as a lot of those posters say that their symptoms got worse after going to the chiro. I don't know anything about rib problems or how else you could have it fixed, but I've just read so many chiro horror stories that I felt responsible to reply. I hope you can get some relief in a way that won't cause more problems. Best wishes!
CM1
*Hope*

Postby debh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm

well, i have had good experience with my chiro=who i had before the diagnosis of my syrinx-he helps alleviate leg sympthoms-he does not touch my neck-is knowledgeable in syrinxes-he does malipi;ate my spine buy my syrinx has not budged for 6 years-he has viewed all my mri films and i trust him-maybe the balancing of muscles along side my spine keeps the thing from growing? yoga helps me so does cranial sacral therapy -helps with csf flow and i plan on making the commitment on seeing an alexander technique teacher-alot that i do aggrivates my way so it can't hurt to slow down and see where i hurt myself-anyway only you know what hurts you-my first ns shrugged his shoulders when i asked him if i could still do spin class-now i know what he meant-everyone is different
debh

Postby June » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 am

Chiropractic manipulation is not a good idea for CM/SM sufferers. See "Tips for living with CM/SM" on the other forum.
June

Return to ASAP Lounge