Stress and Anger....

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Stress and Anger....

Postby Harrybaby666 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi All,

Night before last, I had a huge arguement with someone and I became extremely stressed out and angry from the ensuing argument....I went to bed that night feeling fine, but I woke up with horrible horrible pain in my back..starting in the throrasic area where my syrinx it (T7 through T10) and the pain has radiated in both directions...towards my lumbar area and up the back into the cervical area....I have also been extremely stiff in my shoulders and upper back and arms and I have been extremely fatigued....also I have noticed that only after the arguement, I have developed a rash in the center of my sternum area in the center of my chest and my ability to climb stairs has once again become extremely difficult as well....Mind you, my doctors at Mass General Hospital also believe that I have Myesthenia Gravis as well, which causes my muscles to get weaker and weaker the more I use them.....

My question is: Is it typical for Syringomyelia to be triggered by stress and anger? If So, How have you dealt with trying to keep calm and refrain from getting angry even though it may have been justified?

Thanks...
I may not be able to kneel to pray, but I can still bow my head to give thanks and to pray.....
Harrybaby666

Re: Stress and Anger....

Postby chrisw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 pm

From my experience and understanding, as your BP rises so does your CSF pressure. Just like the weather/barometer causes some of my good/bad days the um... internal changes of your csf pressure can cause good/bad days. I have experienced short term worsening of my pains/problems when I do something that I call" stupid" in my pain log. More importantly in my opinion is the possibility from culmative effects of multible periods like this over the long term.

There are millions of books, courses, techniques you can do to reduce your anger/frustration. The goal is to find what works for you. I fear I sound like a broken record when I stress seeing a counselor to help find what works for you. I also have a perscription for valium for when the muscle relaxers just are not working. I suppose someone in my shoes might rarely use something like this as a very short term off label, well off the prescribed label at least. Cronic use of course causes all sorts of negative side effects.

I am totally unsure about the rash, and I don't remember that being a sm type of symptom. Can heart issues cause this? Perhaps you have an infection/cold/flu? Those can also cause these symptoms?
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Harrybaby666 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:16 am

chrisw wrote:I am totally unsure about the rash, and I don't remember that being a sm type of symptom. Can heart issues cause this? Perhaps you have an infection/cold/flu? Those can also cause these symptoms?

Hi Chris....

I have been doing a ton of reading on Syringomyelia on the web at websites such as Mayo Clinic, Web MD and other reliable medical sites and on one of them it DID mention that one of the symptoms of Syringomyelia is a rash...it didn't specify what kind of rash or where the rash is located, so I will be asking about it when I see the Nerologist at Mass General Hospital in Boston on March 29th....The rash keeps coming and going and I have noticed that it came back with a fury just as soon as the pain and other syringomyelia symptoms suddenly flared up after my arguement....so I do suspect that this may be part of it....I am going to be keeping a journal of symptoms and write down when I am in pain and how severe and where the pain is so I can go to Boston better armed with information to help the Neurologist nail this down for me once and for all...
I may not be able to kneel to pray, but I can still bow my head to give thanks and to pray.....
Harrybaby666

Postby chrisw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 am

Good idea!

I think the general consesus is to try to make a one page summary from the pain journal. Sure your doc might want to read the whole thing but they would be more likely to read a summary!

Pain does cause some people to have an elivated temp, perhaps that could cause the rash??? Either way I can't wait to hear what the doc has to say!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby Harrybaby666 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Chris,

I just found a template for Microsoft Office that I will be using for the pain journal...and I am also putting down anything that I feel might aggravate my syrinx even more...so hopefully, this will help..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Harrybaby666

Postby tnglitter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 am

Stress definitely elevates our symptoms and can wake up those "sleeping" nerves. They don't like to be disturbed and will make you PAY! Totally agree with Chris W about your blood pressure and CSF. Whatever works for you to de-pressurize is okey, even if it is pills. If it works for you, do it.

Interested in the rash thing. I get a painful rash under my breasts that I attributed to sweating under my bra, etc. That's interesting though and will follow up on that. God knows - there seems to be no limit to the list of symptoms for us.... :roll:

Rhonda
T Spine SM T8-T12 (9 mm) Syringopleural Shunt & Laminectomy T10/T11 5 Jan 09
C spine Disc bulges/canal narrowing/DDD
L spine Spondylosis/DDD

Mom of 3 daughters & MiMi to 2 grandsons & 1 granddaughter
tnglitter

Postby karenb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm afraid I don't know about SM being triggered by stress and anger - I do, however, believe my was finally exacerbated to the point of dx by the stress/anger/over-doing-it of dealing with 8 months of my parents acute illness and the need to move cross-country (after caring for them for 6 months, closing their apartment, and moving everything into storage. (It gets better - I was on a cane bearly able to walk, doing this from 2300 miles, & still trying to work full-time... what stress???)

What template are you using for your pain journal. I would find that very helpful. (My biggest problems are pain & fatigue...)

Thanks, and I'll be thinking of you in the days & weeks to come...

Karen
karenb

Postby Harrybaby666 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Karen,

If you have Microsoft Office and go to their website, they have templates under the medical catagory and that is where I got the pain journal template there.....Hope this helps you, Harold :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Harrybaby666

Return to ASAP Lounge