Living Beyond Your Pain: Using ACT.....

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Living Beyond Your Pain: Using ACT.....

Postby ronald64 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 pm

My shrink told me about this book and said it was highly recommended amongst her colleagues.
Living Beyond Your Pain: Using ACT to Ease Chronic Pain by Joanne Dahl.
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Beyond-Your-Pain-Acceptance/dp/1572244097

Has anyone read this book or know about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? I don't.

Ron
ronald64

Re: Living Beyond Your Pain: Using ACT.....

Postby chrisw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:18 pm

After reading a bunch of her reviews it sounds like its a good book. I bought it, heck, if it reduces one refill it would be worth it!

The excercises sound interesting, my interpertation of one review is they would be good to do as a cronic pain got worse, leading me to wonder if they where good to set baselines of your abilities???
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby ronald64 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

I actually found some of the reviews inspiring. Weird.
I bought it too. $15. Sounds like there is some work involved.

R
ronald64

Postby karenb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 pm

I haven't had the chance to look into this right now...

Keep us posted - every little bit helps!

Karen
karenb

Postby kristinanneb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am

Chris Or Ronald,
I am about to go pick this up from the bookstore -they had to special order it for me. I was wondering if either of you have made any progress with it so far? If you are still reading / working through this book, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kristin
kristinanneb

Postby chrisw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:34 pm

heck... I'm a little slow, its in my amazon basket but I haven't clicked buy yet...

I'd say I'm a wee bit depressed and having trouble accomplishing anything, LMAO!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby ronald64 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 am

Hi sorry for the slow response. Life has been crazy and I'm getting ready for surgery sometime within the month. I have been through 3 myelograms in the last month...I am tired of needles stuck in my spine! :cry: It hurts. Anyway I bought the book and I do recommend it although I have yet to do the work as it is truly a workbook. The basic concept is not about reducing your pain but more or less accepting it, learning to live with it, and not letting it control your life. As far as I have read it is all very sound advice and concepts that I will definitely be incorporating in my life. So if you are looking for a book that will tell you how to get rid of your pain then it is the wrong book. If however you come to realize that chronic pain is not going away and you want to have some tools in the box for dealing with that and getting on with some sense of normalcy in your life then I recommend it. I wish I could tell you more but I plan to really hit it while I'm recovering from surgery.

Ron
ronald64

Return to ASAP Lounge