evoked potential test

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

evoked potential test

Postby eugene » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 am

Is anyone aware if an evoked potential test will determine in chiari1 mal. has become symptomatic.

Thanks,
Eugene
Within every person there is a heart...
eugene

Re: evoked potential test

Postby tennesseewalker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:59 pm

I had a pre-diagnosis visual evoked potential test for possible MS. It was normal. Chiari 1 diagnosed 2 years later.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby razzle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I thought it was a test for Diagnosing Multiple Sclerosis
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby tennesseewalker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Yes it is a test for MS. You know how doctors are...SM doesn't cause this problem or that...must be MS.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby smoovie0704 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Can anyone tell me more about this test? Have any of you had it? My NL says he does not think I have MS and I agree with that but he only has done an EMG, nothing else. What does it entail?
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby razzle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am

Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi,

I had an evoked potentials test a bit over a year ago, and it was kind of helpful in explaining some of my balance problems. (I have SM T6-T9, but do not have CM or MS). What my test indicated was that the impulses from my left leg are slower in reaching my brain than the impulses from my right leg, so I cannot accurately determine where the ground is by feel alone.

Karen
karenb

Postby Janice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 am

The test is a waste of time for people with SM. It took several hours for a 3-part test. Hearing, vision & nerve/muscle reaction (or something like that). You can find the exact details of the test on-line. There's no pain involved, it's actually quite relaxing.

If you're looking to see if you have MS, it might be good. The test is costly, you could get a lumbar puncture to find as well.

Whatever you decide, I hope the results are helpful in the development of a workable treatment plan.

Take, care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm

smoovie,

It's a sort of EEG. Mine was a visual evoked response test and after placing the wires on my head, they had me watch a tv screen with several different scenes. They measured my brain's response to those different scenes. That's about all I can remember about it; it was done in 1994.

Mary
Mary
tennesseewalker

Return to ASAP Lounge