Myelogram

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Myelogram

Postby ronald64 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 pm

I am going in for a CT myelogram week after next at UCLA. I had one last month and they did the puncture in the lower lumber. It wasn't pleasant but I didn't get the headache...apparently because the dye was blocked from going up the canal by the arachnoid cyst. This one they are going to puncture at the cervical level so the dye goes down onto the top of the cyst. I have heard rumor you don't get the headache with the cervical injection. Any truth to that? Anyone experience any other issues? How long till I feel good enough to fly back home?

Ron
ronald64

Re: Myelogram

Postby dtyree » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 am

I have not had any HA issues with lumbar puncture. However, when the injected dye hits where there is nerve damage, sent me through the roof. Good luck.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby keggler 1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello--I had a myelogram in 1983....It almost killed me.I'm very allergic to all dyes(they used iodine)and I spent 9 days in hospital, my family Doctor findly came to see me,pitched a fit,and did a whole blood patch and I went home and was sick for weeks.(Nausea and headaches)

My advice is to possibly use Ct scan or Doppler. I also have POTS and celiac disease,and maybe that has something to do with it. For some people Putting dyes in your spine is not an option.When I had PDF surgery, they wouldn't even use betadine to wash the area for surgery.

Just be careful,and this is and can be dangerous.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby lady 59 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 pm

I had a myelogram done before my tethered cord surgery and I didn't have any problems at all. I had heard all these horrow stories about how bad it was and was so scared. What a relief it was when it was over and I didn't have any problems at all. Although I did listen and laid down for the first 12-24 hours afterwards, I believe that helps alot.
Good luck
Mary
lady 59

Postby ronald64 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks all for the comments. I had a Myelogram with a lumbar puncture last month. The puncture will be at the neck level this time. Didn't get the headache for the lumbar puncture so I hope I don't get it for this one. I have to laugh...I used to be a Cardiac Tech and worked in the ER. I have seen some pretty bad things happen to people but the thing that always made me cringe the most was watching a spinal tap. So here I am getting 2 in 3 months.......So it goes. Life has a way of kicking you hard in the funny bone.

Ron
ronald64

Postby ronald64 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:57 pm

My myelogram with a cervical stick didn't go well. They tried for about 30 min to get CSF to tap out the needle at the base of my skull (top of spine) but there wasn't enough room between my dura and nerves. He stuck the needle in as far as he felt comfortable without hitting the cord and no CSF so they quit trying. It was not very pleasant and hurt. No Valium or fentanyl either which really made it hard to loosen up. Only a local lido. Oy.
So now they want to do it again and do a lumbar puncture. again. I had a lumbar puncture myelogram in Jan already, I'm tired of needles stuck in my spine. It's really a drag. Just venting...

Ron
ronald64

Postby mad254 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Ron,

May I ask why are they doing the myelogram for you and did you ever get it done? How far are you traveling for this?
mad254

Postby ronald64 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Turns out that I have an arachnoid, or meningeal cyst at L1 (an old fracture and fusion site) that is blocking the CSF flow and pushing on the nerve roots and pinching them off to the left side. I had a myelogram done both in the Bay Area (where I live) and the others were done at UCLA in Southern California. Initially the orthopedic surgeon I was seeing mentioned a syrinx after initial MRI and then a Myelogram. After seeing the Docs at UCLA Neurosurgery (Dr. B and Dr. Holly) they confirmed not a syrinx but a large cyst blocking the CSF flow. Not all that common but not too unusual. I go for surgery end of this month to remove the cyst. Hopefully the pressure relief from the nerve roots and reestablishment of the CSF flow will relieve the pain in my butt, legs and feet. Legs are going numb and uh, uh, um... other things so to speak are beginning to be affected. I am hoping the progression of that is stopped. I am not too optimistic of getting the feeling back that has already been lost.....so it goes. Wish me luck.

Ron
ronald64

Postby keggler 1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:51 am

I wish you luck...have you tried or can you do any yoga streching ? It has helped me and as I said in a earlier post on this subject I'm not a fan of anyone messing with my spine....only one I got and plan to keep it a while. People here have a lot of hardware and metal in their backs and most will tell you to avoid it at all possible.

My doctor has a post a question on his web site...Google Dr Rosner and ask his opinion on things to do with Chiari and S/M.

Again, good luck...Jerry in Carolina...
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby ronald64 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 am

Thank You for the well wishes. I have been a big fan of yoga since I broke my back 23 years ago. Yoga is/was the best analgesic for keeping the pain away. Unfortunately the neuropathy that I am experiencing makes doing yoga difficult. I had to stop doing yoga a year and a half ago when I injured a muscle in my arm likely because weakness in my left leg threw off my balance. I was also working into a position I had no business trying so I have to take some responsibility. Again my problem is not Chiari or SM so there is a possibility I can get relief with surgery. Dr. Batzdorf at UCLA Neurosurgery IS the man on the subject and an awesome Doctor. I trust his opinion.

Thanks again Jerry...good stuff. :P

Ron
ronald64

Return to ASAP Lounge