Radiation Exposure & Thyriod

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Radiation Exposure & Thyriod

Postby karenb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi All,

A friend of mine who has thyroid cancer told me something today that I had never heard before.

Whenever a person is exposed to radiation, whether it be from an x-ray, a mammogram, a CT scan, or any of the various other scans involving exposure to radiation, it is important to request a thing called a "thyroid guard" - it's like a little lead apron for your thyroid. (Some lead aprons incorporate it as a little flap that nobody bothers to use.)

Obviously, this isn't really an option in certain cases (like X-rays of the cervical spine :lol: ), but it's use could really help protect your thyroid on some of these tests we have to deal with. (In particular, a CT scan, which delivers radiation exposure equivalent to about 6 months of standard day-to-day exposure in one whallop.)

Karen
karenb

Re: Radiation Exposure & Thyriod

Postby wendi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:43 am

That is good advice, thanks for that. Something to learn about right now what with the people running scared and taking that iron due to radiation fears and others scamming them. I did read in the paper recently that we expose ourselves to tons of radition with dental Xrays, mamograms, etc and don't realize this. I am going to ask about that when I get my boobies squished in a few months.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby chrisw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I've been wondering about all these CT scans I have had in the past couple years, if any supplement would help the thyroid like iodine or something
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Postby karenb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

My freinds' son is a nuclear engineer (PhD), and let me know about the amout of radiation in CT scans - 6 months of everyday exposure (dental X-Rays, ground, glow-in-the-dark alarm clocks, etc). Several other friends have told me about the "thyroid guard", and I've noticed a lot of hospital techs who are actually exposed to radiation are very careful to wear one.

From what I understand, supplements (like SSKI) are not very helpful unless you have short-term exposure exceeding certain levels (like a friend of mine experienced while guarding "igloos" during the cold war).

Karen
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge