TAI CHI anyone

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

TAI CHI anyone

Postby keggler 1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Can anyone still do it? I try but lose my balance very easy.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Re: TAI CHI anyone

Postby tennesseewalker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Not even close. I have to use a bar to help me remain vertical in the shower...
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby phyrehawke » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 am

I'm not sure where to start here...my background doing yoga prior to a head injury 5 years ago was good. I credit years of yoga and meditation for a partial reason why I've done so well having post-traumatic SM. I didn't quit doing the meditation, but due to chronic vertigo and the SM being worsened I had to quit doing the yoga for a few years. My syrinx is stable and the vertigo and migraines are greatly improved, so lately I've started doing my yoga again (old stuff as well as new stuff), and a friend talked me into trying tai chi again. I ordered a particular dvd set on a recommendation and I'll let you know how that goes. They should come in a few days.

The last time I tried tai chi my vertigo was still too severe to do it safely. Restarting the yoga proved that my balance isn't back to great, but it's doable. I certainly wouldn't call it vertigo anymore. I can definitely do standing energization techniques easily again. I make sure I have something around as a "balance spotter" for basic standing asanas, and I think I should be okay for the tai chi too. I don't expect to ever be able to do yoga or tai chi in a classroom setting again. I need a spotter of some sort for balance, I have to keep arm-supported floorwork minimal, I need frequent breaks...I would just be too disruptive in a class. But I should be able to do it at home again, I think? We'll see and I'll keep you posted.

I'm very amused with myself doing the yoga again. Sometimes when I try to balance an asana (like tree pose) on one foot I can't keep my balance more than 2 breaths, and after half a lifetime of doing yoga I find the inability to stand on one foot hilarious and I end up with the giggles. This is like "keeping beginner's mind" the hard way! But it does kinda make me feel like a little kid again. I could be disappointed and frustrated over it, but it's more fun and challenging to face it from beginner's mind AND attitude. I need the right practice. I know from previous balance exercises my NL gave me (and they worked on the nasty chronic vertigo) that I just need to keep doing tree pose with a reliable spotter (like the wall) to prevent a fall, and keep looking back and forth from far away to close up and over months to maybe a year my balance will keep improving.
Rozanne/phyre
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Postby keggler 1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm

I use the hall to keep from getting hurt. I was very athletic all my life and still bowl and average 200. The slow stretches is what i like about Tia Chi.

I'm interested to hear how you do....Jerry in Carolina...
ACM S/M BI Hiatal Hernia EDS III Successful PDF 2007 Dr Rosner
keggler 1

Postby taichi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I enjoyed doing tai chi for years and going on week end workshops but after Sm and having the nerve in my rt. ear destroyed for my Meniere's, my balance will not let me continue. Tai chi is so good for everything about your body. Good luck!

Barbara
taichi

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Wow Jerry, 200 bowling average is great. I used to bowl (not anywhere close to your average) until I could no longer hold the ball due to weakness. I really enjoyed bowling.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby phyrehawke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Ok, I said I'd get back to you on this. I'm doing some Chi Gong and working up to the Tai Chi. I'm also doing some yoga, and doing a lot of reading on all three.
What my cervical syrinx does to the muscles in my mid back creates issues with any position in which I've got my elbows up in the air for long periods of time, and also with any yoga floor position in which my upper body weight is resting on my hands or elbows, or in which I'm stretching my neck in Chi Gong. I know it's not a muscle weakness thing because due to the chronic muscle spasms they are very strong. The problem is that once the muscles get the signal to tense for use they tend not to want to un-tense and go into spasm. It's actually not too bad while I'm doing Chi Gong, but afterwards it kicks in. Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers work on it, but that's kinda counter productive to doing these sort of activities. So I'm still doing them, but being a lot more picky about the duration, and positions, so I don't have to take extra meds for doing "healthy stuff".
I would highly recommend doing Chi Gong before getting into Tai Chi. And I would recommend working into the Chi Gong slowly. Start with small sections and work up to the full routine over several days (or longer). Go easy on movements that cause problems later...they are going to be different for everybody based on where their damage is. I would strongly recommend being very careful and picky about yoga positions. However, I have found many positions that have been *big* helps with some chronic problems...especially my hips. I'm walking much better and with a lot less pain, thanks to a modified Pidgeon Pose, and some others, plus some advice on them from my MT. This means I'm taking a lot less meds and that's a good thing.

On balance...if you keep losing your balance in positions, try looking at something far away and then close up...over and over, fairly quickly. Do not close your eyes. And always have a "balance backup plan" so you don't fall. That might help...it sure helps me!
Rozanne/phyre
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Return to ASAP Lounge