NEW TOY

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

NEW TOY

Postby wendi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:39 pm

That is what DH is calling it, lol. Not what I would call it. I am getting a new washer and dryer. Ours is 10yrs old and the washer is dying and has been spitting out parts and I have to help it spin. I remember Amy Joe talking about her front loader on the pedestal and that is what I really wanted. We knew the washer was going to die, so we have been watching the sale papers for a few months. DH was pushing for the top loader, cuz it is cheaper. We talked about running a gas line so we could get a gas dryer to save money, but that would cost more out of pocket now. Finally, he said, if you want what you want, you pay for it. Well, I was already thinking this since I got my bonus and do have the cash. The last few weeks the washer has really been pissing me off, so we figured out that hhgreg usually has the best prices, so Sunday we went out and I got my front loader and a new dryer. Both have steam features. The pedestals were on sale too for half what the whirl pool ones were and our electric company is giving back $75 rebates till the end of the month, so we bought it in the nick of time. I spent more than I planned, but did not get the most expensive. They will negotiate with you and even tho they were 20% off, he took off another $50 off each of them. My DH thought we should only buy a washer since the dryer still works fine, but I figured that since it is 10 years old, it will probably last maybe a year, then when it dies, I won't be able to get the dryer that goes with it. He said, who cares? I guess it is a woman thing. I am selling my old dryer for $25 to my employee as hers is dying.

When I first started saying I wanted this front loader, because it was easier on my back, he said, oh, I will do the laundry. Yea, right, I can imagine my clothes. He can't put my clothes where they belong now. He does not know which are delicate, like my bras and what I hang up and what goes in what drawer. I also like to bleach the whites and the towels. Now with this steam feature, I may not have to as it will disinfect and get rid of stains and odors that way.

2 friends said they did not like thiers as one was noisy and one walked across the room. These new ones are supposed to be vibration free and very quiet. My laundry room in out in the garage, so noise does not matter too much. They are supposed to be really energy effecient and much easier on yours clothes so they last longer.

If you have this style, what do you think?

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Re: NEW TOY

Postby tennesseewalker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Wendi,

I've had my front loader for 5 years and I LOVE IT. It uses 1/4 of the water AND 1/4 of the detergent, AND it gets my clothes cleaner than my old top loader did. It's paid for itself and then some.

I regularly wipe the back side of the rubber door seal to clean off any mildew that may try to grow so no odor builds up.

Congratulations on your new toy.

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby wendi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks Mary. It is nice to hear from someone who loves theirs. I do know I am supposed to leave the door open a few hours after a load to let it dry out. I also got the tablets from them that you use to clean the machine once a month. 3 tablets cost $10! He gave me 2 bags for $6 a piece, so that was nice. I may find them less elsewhere, like Sam's or the dollar store, or even at the grocery store. I gave my MIL all my laundry soap, 4 bottles! Now, I have to get some today of the new stuff you have to use. HD or HE, is it? I have not seen it on sale since I bought it. They come today and I have a load waiting to do when I get home. Funny to be excited about doing a load of laundry. That won't last long,lol.
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:18 am

I know...for about the first week, I would sit on a chair in front of the washer just watching the clothes go around...so cool.

I use regular Gain liquid detergent & fabric softener. Works great for me.

Enjoy your new toy.

Mary
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby wendi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am

I did my whites yesterday and used the steam feature with no bleach and they got really clean. It was so cool to see the time I had left. It was a big load and it took 1hour and fifty min. I set it to high spin and it was pretty quiet. I think whatever problems they had, it has been fixed. I like the fact that it decides how much water to use. I think before, I never determined it correctly with the top loader. Then when I dryed them, they were so dry from the spin, it took no time at all in the dryer. The dryer has a feature for a rack, sold seperatly, to dry sweaters etc, which is kind of cool. They both play a little tune when they are done instead of that annoying buzz. Oh, and it was so easy on my back taking them from one machine to the other, no bending! Hooray!
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Mine are at floor level and I have a stool that I sit on to load & unload them. So much easier than my top loader. I think what I love best about it is that it only uses 1/4 cup of detergent and about 2 tablespoons of fabric softener. That stuff's expensive.
Mary
tennesseewalker

Postby wendi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:40 pm

I decided to get the pedestals as that was one of the reasons I wanted them, but I also did not want to pay $200 a piece either. Samsung had them on sale for $99 and they are nice. Tons of storage and they make the machines high enough that I don't have to bend at all to move the clothes from one machine to another. I will only have to bend when I load the washer as the basket will be on the floor. I guess I can always pick it up and hold it against the machine while I load it, if it is not too heavy. I have to wait 4 more days to do more laundry. Monday is my normal laundry day.
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby medicpt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I have had front load washer and dryers for over 10 years. I am on my first dryer and second washer. The dryer has been great, which is why I did not replace it when the washer was just too problematic. The initial washer kept getting mildew/mold build up in the seals around the door. It really bugged me, and I was going to go back to a top load. however, the guy at the appliance store convinced me that they have resolved this isses and I did buy a front load GE. Indeed the seal is great and does not develop the mildew. however, it is not quieter and has walked a bit, but overall I do like it.

Hope you enjoy your new "toys"

wendi2
medicpt

Postby lostsoul72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 am

Thank you ladies for posting these great testimonials, LOL! We are remodeling and I am hoping for a new set when we are done with the kitchen. I will show DH these posts to help convince him that these are best for my sake. :P

~Erin~
Multiple Herniated Discs, DDD, SM-2mm wide from T4-T10, Hypothyroidism, Celiac Disease, Anemia

"[i]Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them[/i]..."
lostsoul72

Postby wendi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am

Erin:

My DH is very cheap so I had to pay out of my bonus to get what I wanted, but I just love them! I have the Samsung ones and even on high spin, they are quiet. The salesman said they all have this feature and the walking problem and vibration noise has been fixed so I would think any brand would be fine. We shopped for about 4 months and found hhgregg to be the cheapest. They also have the 110% back guarentee if you find it somewhere else after you purchase it. I could not wait to do laundry this week again. I am sure that will wear off.

As for the mildew and/or mold. I am making sure to leave the door open when I am done washing and to wipe around the door with a cloth. After this wash I will run the cleaning cycle. I also have the tablets, but the book says to not use them with the cleaning cycle. I do know, you need to leave the door open when you are done to let them dry or you will have a problem. Also, usuing regular detergent and non diluted liquid fabric softner can muck them up. We already diluted our fabric softner since we have a water softner.

Also, remember when shopping at hhgregg, they will negiotiate with you, even if they are on sale. My units were on sale from $800 to $707 or something like that, and he gave them to me for $685 a piece. My SIL got hers lowered also. If you go with the front loader, you have to get the pedestals or it is not worth it, so make sure they are on sale for $99 a piece or buy one get one. They go on sale all the time. I know this from shopping for 4 months. I hope you have this store in VA. Otherwise, the next best place would be Sears, I think.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Return to ASAP Lounge