How to Handle Anxiety

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

How to Handle Anxiety

Postby dingspice » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 pm

I have my very first appointment tomorrow with a spinal surgeon. I don't think I'll be advised to have surgery because my syrinx is pretty small, but my neurologist told me to see the spinal surgeon because he would be better versed in syrinxes. I haven't even had an MRI with contrast yet, and I'm assuming that's what will be on the table for my discussion with him tomorrow but...

How do you all handle the stress of pre-appointment jitters? I have done all the "normal" stuff. Took a walk outside. Cooked a nice meal that my hubby helped with. Did some vegging. Nice warm beverage, etc.

Any other tips and tricks?

Peace!
http://mylifemyneckmyvantagepoint.blogspot.com/
Syrinx 1.5mm width, 14mm long in C7 area
dingspice

Re: How to Handle Anxiety

Postby karenb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Plenty of chamomile tea... keep busy with a book, walking, studying the displays in the surgeon's office... you get the idea...

I know it probably sounds dumb, but keep your mind off the appointment any way you can, go about your normal routine, and then distract yourself from the appointment while you're in the waiting room.

Best wishes for good news!

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 am

when I went to the Neurosurgeon I looked at it like I am going here to feel better . This guy will give me help , think positive . I hope you are seeing a Neurosurgeon , you keep saying a spinal surgeon ???? Do not see a Ortho surgeon for chiari malformation. You will get thru this. Roz
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Roz,

Good catch.

dingspice,

It is extremely important that you see a Neurosurgeon that specializes in Syringomyelia and Chiari malformation. If your appointment is with an orthopedic surgeon, he will probably have as much trouble spelling Syringomyelia as you do... and won't have a clue what it is. (An orthopedic surgeon deals with the bones around the spinal cord - not with the cord itself.)

Assuming you are seeing a neurosurgeon, Roz's suggestion is a good one - focus on the positive aspect (that you're seeing a doctor who may be able to help you). And remember - if you're uncomfortable with him or his recommendation, there's nothing wrong with seeing another doctor. Also, remind yourself that even if he says surgery is needed, his word is not the final one - definitely get a second (or even a third opinion).

Good luck, and keep hanging in there!

Karen
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge