Hi all!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Hi all!

Postby Andrea » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello to everyone. My name is Andrea and I'm 28 years old living in Saskatchewan Canada. I'm a Rn by trade but right now I'm on mat leave with my youngest ds who is 8 months old (also mama to a 5 year old ds). I found this site while looking for more info about CM and Sm.
My story: in sept 08 or so I started to have shooting pains when I sneezed or went to the bathroom. Progressively they got worse and then where the pains were the area went numb (had these pains around 10+ years ago but went away until these episodes started). Went to my gp,got sent to a neuro quite quick and had a MRI. Basically they all thought I had MS. Had my MRI at the end of Jan 09 where they discovered the chiari type 1 ( herniation on left 5mm and on right 11mm) and a HUGE syrinx (C2-T12 with a max width of 1.4cm). The radiologist actually pulled me into her office right after the MRI and showed me the findings and urged me to see a NS very quick!
Had decompression sx end of march 09. Relieved symptoms very briefly and then had a syringoplueral shunt sept 09. Syrinx never shrank but symptoms stabilized (no more weak hand/ foot, no more progression of numb abdomen etc)
Right now I'm having more nerve pain but it can be explained by not having much rest (ds2 doesn't like to sleep ;)) and lifting the babe a lot. My hubby is a stay at home dad so I have a ton of help at home! I'm going for another MRI soon to check on my shunt making sure things aren't getting worse and it can be blamed on the baby.
Looking forward to getting to know you more! I love that I have a place where people understand.
Andrea

Re: Hi all!

Postby gunflint » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Welcome Andrea! I'm glad you found this site. There's a lot of good info here and a lot of people that can help.
gunflint

Postby Janice » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Andrea & Welcome!

Thx for sharing your story. I'm sure there are others here who can relate to what you've been thru. Sometimes, it seems, going thru labor & delivery can bring on symptoms. I'm happy to hear that your surgery has halted your symptoms. I hope your upcoming MRI shows a positive outcome.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby MichelleW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 am

I sent you a PM Andrea... we really need to chat!!
SM C1 to T8 15mm wide
Subarachnoid shunt 9/9/09 FAILED
Syringopleural shunt @T1-2 18/11/09.
Syrinx collapsed even more, revealing SUBARACHNOID CYST at T5/6
2nd syringopleural shunt planned for 11/2011
MichelleW

Return to ASAP Lounge