Blogging as Self-Therapy

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Blogging as Self-Therapy

Postby Mama_Darwin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am

I just started blogging again (I used to journal online many, many years ago), mostly as a way to sort of vent my feelings about living with, through, and despite, syringomyelia. I'm going to put the URL in my signature line, in case anybody wants to read it.

But I was wondering - do any of you blog or journal for therapy? Do you find it beneficial?
Idiopathic SM (baby syrinx in the C1-C2 neighborhood, just 2-3mm x 1cm). No CM.
I'm fumby and stumbly. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is my best friend.

http://madsack.wordpress.com/
Mama_Darwin

Re: Blogging as Self-Therapy

Postby whiteangel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:58 am

hi, I will check it out...I also have been blogging to for self therapy...you can check mine or not...lol
WhiteAngel, Low Grade Astrocytoma Spinal Cord Tumour @ C-1 - T-6 surgery back'n 1970 @ age 4-1/2 Brain Stem Cyst, Kyphosis, Scoliosis, Heading down the quadriplegia road, unfortunately. http://whiteangel0.blogspot.com.au/p/my-story_06.html
whiteangel

Postby karenb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 am

Hi y'all,

I haven't tried blogging for self-therapy... made it as far as creating a profile and uploading a picture... then chickened out.

I've been journaling for years. It helps with the frustration of having an illness nobody seems to understand. It's also helped with a lot of the other turmoil in my life (major moves, loss of career, loss of parents...).

Maybe I'm just too shy to blog very well...

Karen
karenb

Postby whiteangel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 pm

karenb wrote:Hi y'all,

I haven't tried blogging for self-therapy... made it as far as creating a profile and uploading a picture... then chickened out.

I've been journaling for years. It helps with the frustration of having an illness nobody seems to understand. It's also helped with a lot of the other turmoil in my life (major moves, loss of career, loss of parents...).

Maybe I'm just too shy to blog very well...

Karen

hi Karen,

if you are shy, you don't need to use you name, so no one needs to know who you are unless you want them too....so there's no need to be shy
WhiteAngel, Low Grade Astrocytoma Spinal Cord Tumour @ C-1 - T-6 surgery back'n 1970 @ age 4-1/2 Brain Stem Cyst, Kyphosis, Scoliosis, Heading down the quadriplegia road, unfortunately. http://whiteangel0.blogspot.com.au/p/my-story_06.html
whiteangel

Postby Janice » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 am

I use to blog for therapy/distraction. Then there came a time when what I had to say was redundant. I said what I needed to say, to help me to begin dealing w/everything, I was no longer jumping around the steps of denial to acceptance, and I'd realized that this was now I my and I better get use to it. Basically, I was coping.

However, I was painfully aware that I grieved whenever a new symptom came on, or an existing one worsened. So, I updated my blog once more. I wanted to do more but it seemed as though everything worsened & the longer I sat blogging, the longer my recovery would be. Well, it wasn't the typing, I just couldn't sit that long,, which was really under 10 minutes. No more blogging, but I do respond to the posts here, and on Facebook, once in a while.

Blogging is fun & therapeutic!

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby June » Sun May 06, 2012 10:44 pm

I would if I knew how to --- it likely would be very helpful. But one of the changes I have noticed since I was diagnosed with SM and started taking so many pain pills, etc.: my mind does not work like it used to. I simply can't retain information and learn new skills that are very complicated. And I consider anything related to computers as complicated.

I used to be smart, but anymore--basically, I feel pretty stupid most of the time. I don't know how much of that is due to the SM directly (pain, maybe?) or to the drugs.
June

Postby reedy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I just read your blog and liked it a lot! I hear you, sister, on all you are saying! Keep writing...
reedy

Return to ASAP Lounge