Anyone on lyrica?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Anyone on lyrica?

Postby Metalmommy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 am

I went to pain management today, and they found a couple neurological issues I wasn't aware of. I am significantly weaker on my right side, I was having hand spasms to somethings today pretty bad that he saw. I also have a tremor in my left hand (pinky). He prescribed lyrica to me, have any of you been on it? Does it help with pins and needles? I go back the end of the month, doctor already discussed surgery with me. It was not an encouraging appointment I will say. Are these types of symptoms "normal"? My syrinx is from T1-T5. I feel crazy, and I told him that. Like my body just feels so weird all the time.
Metalmommy

Re: Anyone on lyrica?

Postby AKShel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi Metalmommy,

I have been taking Lyrica for about 6 months now...trying to keep the dose low as possible and am currently at 100 mg twice a day. For me, it does help with the burning and pins/needles in my feet and right hand. Currently, it's at a tolerable buzz. I also take a very low dose of klonopin for my right hand tremmor (of course, I'm right handed) which allows me to get things done a little more effiently...and I use the term loosely. I may increase dosage, but am holding off as long as tolerable....Unfortunately, this CM and/or SM stuff is pretty weird and gives us all sorts of odd sensations and pains.

And yes, what you are describing is normal for SM. For me, the klonopin also helps my tonic spasms...I think the baclofen also helps. I held out for a long time not wanting meds, but had to give in to get my life back to it's new normal.

My syrinx is from C4 - T8, 5mm at widest. Had decompression surgery in June 2011 which was not completely successful and a VP shunt installed in April 2012 (this helped my communication skills a lot) for the now communicating hydrocephelus. In my pot of stew, I also get to add MS and arachnoiditis; and a few other tidbits.

The good news, is that many of the symptoms can be controlled with meds, and some CAMS are also helpful. We have to remain as active as possible in order to keep it moving.

Good luck with your next doctor visit. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do as much homework as you can from reliable sites such as ASAP, NIH, Mayo, etc.

Shelley
AKShel

Re: Anyone on lyrica?

Postby Metalmommy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 pm

I am on 75mg of lyrica a day, supposed to go up to 150 in 2 weeks. So far I get the pins and needles when I lean forward, they go up and down my spine out into my ribs and down one arm. Here and there I will get pins and needles in various spots in my back. So far the lyrica seems to have dulled the pins and needles a little bit, but has done almost nothing for my chronic pain. I am already on klonopin for unrelated issues.
Metalmommy

Return to ASAP Lounge