Syrinx without syringomyelia?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Syrinx without syringomyelia?

Postby Metalmommy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am

Is it possible to have a syrinx and not have syringomyelia? My chiropractor told my fiance that I may just have an aggravated syrinx and not syringomyelia. Is this possible? My understanding was syringomyelia is having a syrinx, so you can't have a syrinx without having syringomyelia. Does anyone know if I could just have an aggravated syrinx and not have syringomyelia?
Metalmommy

Re: Syrinx without syringomyelia?

Postby razzle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Syringomyelia, often referred to as SM, is a chronic disorder involving the spinal cord. The condition occurs when cerebrospinal fluid (normally found outside of the spinal cord and brain) enters the interior of the spinal cord, forming a cavity known as a syrinx. so no when you have a syrinx you have syringomyelia ...
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Metalmommy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:28 pm

That's what I thought. I just wasn't sure, I was diagnosed with a syrinx and all I've read seems to say if you have a sryinx you have syringomyelia. I thought she was wrong but I wanted to double check and see if maybe I missed something.
Metalmommy

Postby gunflint » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:20 am

"The condition occurs when cerebrospinal fluid (normally found outside of the spinal cord and brain) enters the interior of the spinal cord,"

This is not how I understand it. CSF should be inside the spinal cord. I think that having it outside the cord would be the end. From Wiki

"The CSF occupies the subarachnoid space (the space between the arachnoid mater and the pia mater) and the ventricular system around and inside the brain and spinal cord. It constitutes the content of the ventricles, cisterns, and sulci of the brain, as well as the central canal of the spinal cord."
gunflint

Postby *Hope* » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Roz is right and wiki is right, but leaves out some info along with leaving out all the info on SM. (Maybe not what you looked up) We would all be dead if we didn't have fluid outside of the cord. It's the fluid that is drawn for a lumbar puncture, the fluid that is blocked by CM, the fluid that is forced into the cord causing a syrinx, and the fluid that bathes and flows around the brain. All one and the same. I'm not good at explaining it all, but ASAP has a handle on it. Maybe this will help. (If the link breaks, then just check out the main page of ASAP and select SM. http://www.asap.org/index.php/disorders/syringomyelia/
CM1
*Hope*

Return to ASAP Lounge