Memory problems

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby dtyree » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh yes, forgetfulness, now I remember.

Yes I can forget who I talked to on the phone. Yes I have forgotten where the list is or the notes I just wrote. My son asked me about a photo taken of him. Where was this taken, he asked, I have no idea I replied. I can remember where the place is while driving, but I do not know how to get there. Words are a problem, I can tell you about the item but cannot give you the name of the item. Word search is also a problem. In the middle of a conversation, I cannot think of the word I want to use-embarrassing. Thought processes are a mess. I can write a post here, but it does not make sense and I will delete it.

If I go out somewhere, I thought about making a sign to hang around my neck - Brain Damaged - Beware!

Because of the cranial shunt operation '06, I lost a lot of memory. My cousin a nurse told me of excess pressure on the brain caused the memory loss and it would take about a year to two to return. It has started to return and I write everything down for reinforcement, I would forget what I rememberd.

I still have gaps in my life, hopefully it will come back. The memory loss is sporadic though. There is short term as well as long term loss. I found myself in the kitchen holding up a 10 inch knife and had no idea why. Just slowly put the knife away and left the room. I would like to go on, but I can't remember what I wanted to say. Oh well.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby kittb » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Thank you for your responses! It's a comfort to know that I'm not alone!
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

ditto to the memory thing

Postby preciousheide » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:57 pm

I am 25 and have been forgetting things like crazy, and frequently. It is so totally embarrasing too. I will get in arguments sometime refusing to admit my loss of remembrance. I forget exactly how conversations go sometimes too. my memory of how things were brought up etc.

Just recently I had a friend ask me when I moved into my new apartment, I told her that I moved in July when actually I had moved in 3 months later, during this conversation, I told her, no I remember it was right before my cousins funeral, which then made me feel worse because my cousins funeral was just a couple months ago and I was waaaaaaaaayyyyyy off, scares the hell out of me!

anyway, thought I would share

Heide
preciousheide

Postby dragonfly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm

seriously, cs and I just finished arguing because he said something yesterday that made me angry ... we get halfway through the fight and it turns out he has NO IDEA why I'm mad because he has NO memory of saying it in the first place. You just have to laugh!
dragonfly

Previous

Return to ASAP Lounge