Memory problems

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Memory problems

Postby kittb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 am

I can't remember if anyone else has mentioned this, but I've been noticing that I've been forgetting a lot of things. Well, not remembering that I forgot them, but having others point out things that I've done or said, or that they've done or said, that I just can't remember! I was just wondering if this has anything to do with my SM, my cerebellar atrophy, aging(I'm 40 now), stress, or anything else. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Similar problems?
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

Postby dtyree » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 am

What were we talking about? I forgot.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby Faireyez » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I forget what I'm talking about in the middle of the conversation sometimes. This is so frustrating Arrrggg :twisted: I forgot what I was saying has become a regular line in my conversations.

I can totally relate to this. I don't have SM just CM, but the symptoms are so similar and related in a way.

Best of luck. :wink:
Faireyez

Postby Ryzing » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm

I spent all night last night talking about a Girl Scout trip my daughter was supposed to take this morning to the local GS campground with her troop.

(** please note I typed, "was supposed to take")

This morning, I completely forgot about it -- didn't remember she had to be at the school for the carpool over at 9:00 AM until way after 9:00 AM.

I'm thinking my lack-of-remembering has a lot to do with the fact that I've got waaaay too much going on. kittb - you also have a lot going on - taking care of your boys, dealing with your medical conditions...plus going to school. That is a lot!

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby rainbowz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:47 pm

I have a horrible memory. It's definitely not age for me I'm 23. I also forget what I'm talking about mid-conversation. I misplace things frequently...on a daily basis. I can't remember what I did yesterday. Heck, I had to check the calendar to remember how old I was turning this month. My bf gets soooooo frustrated with me. I can drive somewhere and not remember how to get back. I can drive somewhere 50 times and still need to get directions.

I have SM, not sure about CM.
Thoracic SM T3-T8
Herniated discs T1-T2 and T9-T10
10 degree Scoliosis T4-T9
rainbowz

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Aw, kitt, don't stress over it. I'm used to it, and those I allow in my comfort space are too.

Now I start everything out with the preface that if I'm repeating myself, let me know.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff. Did I get that right? LOL!

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby cash71 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Kittb,

First off I think it's really funny that you started out your post about bad memory with " I can't remember if anyone else has mentioned this...." :lol:

And yes, my memory is the pits too. I blogged about it recently http://chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.b ... n-fog.html

This is from Dr. Oro's blog. It explains the reasons behind this pretty well.

Some persons with the Chiari malformation complain of problems with working memory, multitasking, and word finding, functions not normally thought to reside in the posterior fossa. What is the basis for these complaints?

The gross anatomy of the cerebellum has been known for many years and the role of the cerebellum has been considered to be coordination of motor function. However, in the past two decades our understanding of the cerebellum has blossomed and there is now evidence that it plays a role in cognitive processes such as working memory, multitasking, and word finding.

In 2004, Diane Mueller and I published a study characterizing the presenting symptoms in 265 patients with the Chiari I malformation. We found 45% of patients complained of memory problems and 14% of word-finding problems.

Although multitasking was not on the questionnaire, some of our patients complained of this problem. One of these, a dispatcher for a trucking company, was accustomed to fielding multiple calls and requests at the same time. As her Chiari symptoms progressed, she noted great difficulty handling her work. To paraphrase her comment, she would often call out “Stop, I can only do one thing at a time!â€￾

Whether problems with working memory, multitasking, and word finding in persons with CM-I are due to cerebellar dysfunction has yet to be critically assessed. However, as the reports below suggest, when we hear these complaints, we can nod our heads, and think yes, it may be the cerebellum.

Posted by John Oro’, MD

chiaritimes@mac.com

Hope this is helpful.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby georgiagal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 pm

DH has a problem with memory, also. He used to have the memory of an elephant and now sometimes he can't remember who he just talked to on the phone. Multi-tasking??? Forget about it! He wasn't so good at this before being dx with cm -- nowadays, he's lucky to be able to finish the one thing he starts for that day.

It's frustrating and sometimes, much to the irritation of my dh, I just have to laugh. I make the best of it and leave him notes each day of what I need him to accomplish. He's to cross it off when he's done. It helps and he feels he's contributed.

His short-term memory stinks and sometimes he get so frustrated trying to carry on a conversation. He's just started stuttering pretty frequently now, so that doesn't help.

In other words kittb, you're not alone. Rejoice in that!!!
georgiagal

Postby lori1218 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:39 pm

OH BOY!!

My memory is out there!!! I try to write things down..then i forget where i put the darn paper it was written on!!!

Caroline: thanks for the Dr.Oro post about memory and wordfinding..the wordfinding is a horror for me somedays..it is weird how that sx is worse some days than others..but , as i type this..i am thinking just about all my sx are better/worse day to day,ya know???
lori1218

Postby precious » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:06 pm

I have Definitely found myself doing this more over the last three months. I some times get a little overwhelmed trying to carry on a conversation when I cant remember what I said not only 30 seconds before. I found it to be a little embarassing as well, especially when I am trying to talk to some one who does not know that I have SM and I imagine they probably think "wow she's an idiot!" :roll:
I see a therapist once a week and she has told me that she's noticed it increase alot in our weekly sessions over the 8-9 weeks? I guess you just hope It stops and balances itself out at some point so you can still get through your thoughts, huh?
~Precious~

SM T-6/T-12 8.2 mm
Only you decide how bright your day will be!
precious

Postby Beverley » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:11 pm

I am having a problem with this too. The multi-tasking and word recall is a major stressing point especially at work. I have started to tell people "If I have forgetten somthing PLEASE tell me. Sometimes I remember things but its like the middle of the night when I can's sleep. I can write them down and not remember where I wrote it. This is one thing I am hoping that surgery helps although I am aware that it is possible it won't.

One Dr told me not remembering where you keys are is one thing but not remembering what the key is for is another. So I guess it could be worse. lol

Beverley
Beverley

Postby Amy Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:56 am

Short term memory is such a problem for me I had 6 weeks of occupational therapy to help me reorganize my daily work habits. I have 2 calenders to remind me. If I don't write things down that need to be done it don't happen. Sometimes I don't know where I am. Very embarrassing at my jobs of sales. Finding words is also another biggy. I to tell my co workers all the time slow down I can only do 1 thing at a time. Before I was super woman!

Stinks getting lost in your home town area. Family support helps. My daughter now takes me shopping. My DH is great with helping. As long as I don't freak out and just roll with it. I call it the CRS syndrome. With out my family I know I would be in a mental ward in some far off place.

Now if I could get the support of my job! They are very UNsupportive. Very possible I loose my job because of performance, this I worry about.
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

memory

Postby wenwen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:41 am

I have had problems with this for YEARS! I started having symptoms of CM in my late teens but was not diagnosed until 11/07. I have always had to write things down and keep a calender for 20 years now. I have a difficult time finding the correct word to use and my husband must provide me with directions whenever I am traveling to an even slightly familiar location. I have lost my keys sooooooooo many times that I swear I have spent a year of my life looking for them.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this, it is not age!

wendi
wenwen

Postby moekelly24 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:35 am

it is a really frustrating thing, especially when you used to be able to do so much and now all of a sudden these things happen. I do have a terrible problem with memory.. even to the point where someoine will say I told them something or that I said something and then I just cant remember that I did, almost like they are the ones making it up.. it takes a lot of remember we were over here and this is what you were doing at the same time? then I remember..maddening...
I also can have a conversation and if I have a headache or not a good day.. can forget what it was about right after sometimes.. have to really try hard to remember what I was just talking about..

You are not alone.. the way I deal with it is to just take one day at a time.. GOD will take care of you and in time none of this will matter.. Just like I tell my daughter if she hates her outfit.. she is nine.. next week nobody will remember what you had on..
chiari malformation 7mm no syrinx muscle relaxers for back.. GOD doesnt give you anything you cant handle. Look to HIM for your needs and glorify HIM to the fullest.
moekelly24

Don't worry.

Postby DancingQueen16KT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm just 16 years old and I also forget a lot of things. I have a syrinx and was diagnosed when I was 13. I can't remember a lot before that. More than half of my childhood is a blur if even that. you can't be blamed for something you can't control. Maybe if you relaxed a little more somethings could come back to you.
DancingQueen16KT

Next

Return to ASAP Lounge