've done it!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

've done it!

Postby kittb » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:41 pm

As of the completion of the orientation today, I am now a Cancer Society volunteer! In memory of my wife, I feel that this is something I need to do. Between this and the archives volunteering, I feel useful even if my body won't let me do anything else-for example, a paying job where my disability wouldn't restrict me. I would really like to do more, but my body won't let me. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

Postby Ryzing » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:13 pm

Good for you, kittb! I pray you find this an exciting, rewarding - and honoring venture.

I volunteered for Stein Hospice's (Sandusky, Ohio) "Camp Good Grief" a few years earlier in this decade. It's a special week-long bereavement camp for children who have lost a loved one. The time I volunteered with those kids were some of the most rewarding in my life.

You will never regret the decision to make a difference, kittb. I think it's great you are choosing to do this - especially while honoring your wife. Extra jewels for your crown!

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 pm

kitt,

Wonderful! I'm so proud of you. I make oversize flannel baby blankets, each new baby in the church gets one.

I can do them as I have the ability, and we also send them to Decision Point, a drug/alcohol rehab that has just opened a women's unit.

It isn't overwhelming, and like you, I feel useful.

Keep on going, you're a wonder role model for your kids.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby mrsariel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi
I am sure your wife is smiling down on you and what you have chosen to do.
Happy for you!
Lisa
CM 7mm diagnosed 12/06.
Tethered Cord diagnosed 10/07 @ TCI
TC surgery 5/13/08
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisas
mrsariel

Postby Terri in Cali » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 am

I think that is so amazing!! The selflessness that goes into doing something like that is awesome. I would stand up and applaud you ** but I already took off my collar and I would probably pass out **

God bless you. Your wife is looking at you with a huge smile on her face.
Terri in Cali
ACMI 22mm herniation
Decompressed 9/4/07
Still wondering if I will ever be normal
www.beautipage.com/sonomaspa
Terri in Cali

Postby streetsense » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 am

Kittb,
Helping others has always helped me. I applaud you for reaching out to others as a way to deal with your loss. Such a thing can never be replaced, but channeling your efforts in this way is a very positive step.

As a historian, I'm curious about the archive work you do.
streetsense
SM 7mm T-5 to T-10 with less clearly defined extension down through the lumbar vertebrae
sleep apnea
streetsense

Postby prettyeyes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:25 am

Kittb, you are such a wonderful gentleman, I wish you all the happiness in this new adventure, and yes sandy does make wonderful baby blankets, my grandson loves his, good luck to you lisa
prettyeyes

Kittb, you are such a wonderful gentleman, I wish you all the happiness in this new adventure, and yes sandy does make wonderful baby blankets, my grandson loves his, good luck to you lisa
prettyeyes

prettyeyes

prettyeyes

Postby prettyeyes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 am

prettyeyes

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 am

I am glad that you has found something to help others. It is rewarding to know that someone else has the benefit of your help!

I for myself had a rough time finding something rewarding and what I really could do within my limitations. It is still a fight sometimes when my body won't listen to my heart and my things I want to do.

As you know I've been a nurse all my live, trying to help others, forgetting about myself and to go on. Now I have found something too that gives me more satisfaction and being able to help people in the similar situation as I am in.

I started a SM/ACM association in Holland. It is just new and working from the 1st of februari. I tried to find some people who wanted to help me to set it all up because you cannot do it on your own.
I found 2 people who wanted to work with me to set up again the association, for there has been one, but was at sleep. We revived it again together with one of the partners of a friend (so that makes 4 of us)who made the website, and since we started we already have 7 members in 6 days!!!
So I can vividly imagine your feeling about this!

Love from the Netherlands,
Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby georgiagal » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Good for you, kittb!! :D

Volunteering is a wonderful way to give back. You will find that you actually get more than you expected.

I used to volunteer for Starlight Children's Foundation -- I granted wishes for children and attended several hospital parties.

Making a difference is a VERY rewarding experience!
georgiagal

Postby kittb » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:07 pm

My references are being confirmed, and then next week I should hear how I can help.
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

Postby Faireyez » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 pm

Kittb,

That is wonderful! We'll be in contact. I'm getting a bone marrow biopsy this Tuesday to confirm Myelofibrosis, which is myeloproliferative disease a pre Leukemic syndrome. I’m scared to death, but have to keep up my faith and be positive.

I was diagnosed with CM1 and my surgery was schedule for 1/30 and was cancelled due to these new findings. I feel like my world has been tossed upside down yet again.

It is a wonderful thing to want to be there for others in need. God bless you for taking that step. Your wife will be so proud
Love & Blessings, Shiara~
Faireyez

Next

Return to ASAP Lounge