Thoracic disc herniation and syringomyelia

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby sarahb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi there 1proudmum

I had forgotten all about this thread that I started. I can only offer you my personal experience and am definitely no expert. I have damage to the spinal cord in the thoracic area, and also the SM which goes from T2 - T12. The NS said that the herniations and old compressed T4 fracture (that I also have) probably happened about ten years ago when I was admitted to hospital in horrific pain. Unfortunately, as my pain presented in the upper abdomen nobody bothered to check my spine, so the damage is now permanent.

I know I used to suffer horribly from back pain, and at the time was a gymnastics coach. Now I really only suffer from neck pain but I have been put on medication to try and control that. I am on amitriptyline (sp) 10mg which I take every night, and two others that I take for pain when needed. I am really lucky that I now experience very little pain on a day to day basis.

I have started an exercise programme under the guidance of a physio to try and increase my core strength. Unfortunately my legs seem to be getting weaker by the day but I just grin and bear it. I have to have another MRI in August / September to see what the syrinx is doing and unless I start falling over, have to wait until then. I am lucky that I have a NS who said to me and I quote "you know your body, if you feel something isn't right, phone me immediately". I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I know that my life has changed significantly in the past six months as I notice the deteriation in my body - but I am asking lots of questions and doing everything in my power that I can to get through this. Every day brings a different challenge and I meet it head on.

I am sure that there are others on here who are far more knowledgable than I am and can offer you words of wisdome and encouragement and I wish you all the best for the future.

I know that finding this forum was the best thing ever, so much support and wisdom, maybe the doctors should have a read and learn something!!

Kia kaha
Syrinx C6-T12 (and growing), Old compressed fracture T4, Disc Herniations T6/7 & T8/9 pressing on the spinal cord, Hemangioma T4, Aneurysm
sarahb

Hi Sarah

Postby 1proudmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for reponding, now if i can convince my lawyer who is fighting for me in the military to get me a higher disability that would be great. They are wanting to discharge me for only low back pain which i have found that this is also one of the many problems that i'm facing. I have placed all of this is Gods hands for he knows best. Now if God and I can get the lawyer to understand.
1proudmom

Postby sarahb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Take care
Syrinx C6-T12 (and growing), Old compressed fracture T4, Disc Herniations T6/7 & T8/9 pressing on the spinal cord, Hemangioma T4, Aneurysm
sarahb

Postby Janice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Sarah,

It's wonderful to hear that you have a NS willing to work with you. Most times, if your condition is not operable, the NS refers you back to the NL for a treatment plan.

I'm also happy to hear that your pain is under control.

Take care and thanks for sharing your news regarding your appointment.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby SMLady » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:08 am

Sarah, I just noticed you are from new Zealand. I have a friend who grew up there but lives in the US now. Just thought I'd throw that in. You don't happen to know any Mansfield's, do you? That's probably a common name there.
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby sarahb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:29 pm

SM Lady - not that I can recall. Where did your friend live? I was born in Christchurch, moved to Queenstown as a teenage but went to boarding school in Invercargill. I now live in Auckland. I also lived in Orange County for 3 months when I was 13 (27 years ago!!!) Dad decided I needed to experience the American way of life.

Feeling terrible - I haven't had a good 24 hours. Feel like my legs have no muscles, they are like jelly. Its hard to explain but I just want to sit down as standing up is too hard! Had this last night before I went to bed and still there this morning. I keep wondering if this is what the NS was talking about when he said if there are any changes to let him know - or whether this will pass.
sarahb

Postby Janice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble sleeping and difficulty with your legs.

I pray this passes but if not, yes, I think you should speak to your doctor about it.

My daughter lives in Orange County. She loves it up there and doesn't like coming home much (here in Escondido - So. CA). All her dancing buddies live in that area so I guess it's easier for her to be an active participant in her dance group.

Take care and I pray you start feeling better soon and definitely that sleep will come real soon.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby sarahb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Thankyou for your kind words Janice.

Fingers crossed that I will start feeling better soon.

Take care
Sarah
sarahb

Previous

Return to ASAP Lounge