I found mold in my heating vent!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

I found mold in my heating vent!

Postby Ryzing » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:22 am

Hi all,

I have had recurring sinus/throat problems for a few months now. I was on antibiotics once - and the problems cleared up for a few weeks, then came right back. I have never had such chronic sinus/throat problems and have been unable to figure out why this crap won't go away.

Until yesterday.

I share an office in our building with the bookkeeper of my department. She, too, has been suffering with recurring colds. Yesterday we both worked. For some reason, I peered into the heating vent for our office while picking up something I dropped. This vent is a foot away from my desk.

It was full of moldy, brown WATER!

I about puked. Everytime air blows through the vent, I am breathing in vile, mold-filled air. I have no clue how long it's been there but thank GOD today, since the bookkeeper and I are both off, someone is coming in to suck out the water and bleach the vent/duct. I'm worried it will come back, though, since we are in a major melt-down here in Ohio and everything is starting to flood a bit.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with mold? Is there anything I can take or use that will get my sinuses flushed out?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby docrx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:31 am

Diane
Funny to ask- I had to go to the doctor last week because I had a rash for 10days that was not getting better and so did 5 managers and the other pharmacist. We had MOLD In our vents. The security guys came and changed the filters and cleaned everything with bleach. I didn't have sinus problems we all got extremely itchy rashes. My doctor gave me diflucan for a week for the fungus (mold) and decadron (steroid) for a week for the itching and inflammation. I was a little ill- like we dont' have enough of our own medical problems then to have to come to work and be exposed to mold. But the saftey guys got on it asap! Might want to call your doctor and let her give you some lamisil or diflucan which is for fungus or mold. Antibiotics will not touch mold.
Hope that helps!
Amanda
Every Day is a Blessing from God!
Mom to one beautiful baby girl

Syrinx C6-C7 5mm
OTC- surgery Sept 16
docrx

Postby SMLady » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 am

OMG! That is really dangerous! I hope your company can get it resolved. SUPPOSEDLY, they come check our air quality every so often, but when you look at the ceiling by the vent and the ceiling is completely black where the air is blowing out, it makes you wonder.

I hope you two are feeling better. yikes!
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby Ryzing » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 am

Amanda,

Sounds like you & your co-workers had a different reaction than me and my co-worker. I'm sorry to hear you have had this experience, too. The standing water in my duct was BROWN! That can't be good....I hope you start feeling better very soon - and your office gets back to normal quickly. Thanks for the advice!

This morning my ears are all plugged up :x What? What's that you said, Glenna?? :lol: Thanks for the well-wishes. xxoo

Diane
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby Dcuster » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:37 am

Yep me, working in a sesspool building for about 3 years it had mold and other stuff from top to bottom and all around the sides of the building, turns out the building 40,000 gallon holding pond was on the roof right next to the buildings fresh air return. My vent was right over my desk (low ceilings) made me want to puke every time the air came on, I used up all my sick leave because of the headaches and sinus in fections, the last sinus in fection I had in the building caused me to throw my lower back out from the coughing and sneezing etc.

3 People died that worked in that building. two of them dieat at work and one at home. 12 people have cancer of some sort and 8 of us have unexplained tumors that are not cancer.

I have the syrinx, cyst on the brain (penial), left adrenal gland tumor, now about 8 or 9 nodules in my thyroid, had a cyst on my overy that one went away. I have been very sick, still have severe sinus infections and omg the headaches will never go away. After I had three doctors remove me out of that build for health reasons, 1 1/5 years later I tested positive in my blood for 7 of the 22 molds found ground in my office alone. Jim the guy who shared my office, stood up at work and said he had a headache and killed over dead.

I have had an Attorney for this now 6 years, I got one before I ever stepped one foot out of the door. The department I worked 4 had 5 Inviralmental studies done before I left the building all came back highly toxic. They even had the people who did the world trade center air quality control to come and test our building. I worked with a State Department so I have to go after the owner of the building, the State Department I worked for sued the own and won like 4 law suits.

You have 2 years from the date you are aware of the problem to do anything so make sure you keep note of that. My secretary who was dx with stage 4 breast cancer, it was to late for her to do anything, the other secretary that shared her space was also dx with advanced breast cancer the same week as my secretary. So this is nothing to play with. Be careful, call yor personal and file a complaint and have them test the building they have to by law. Send me an email if you have anymore questions would be glad to try and help from what I have learned over the 6 years so far. My case is still going. was to settle in January and I didn't take it.

Donna
SM t10-T12 2.5 x 1.1 cm in dia, thorasic shunt 2002,
Pineal Cyst, C5-C6 fusion 2005, Lumbar L2-L6 w/4 level fusion with hardware 2006, adrenal gland tumor, 7-8 thyroid nodules, 2008 C4-C7 Corepectomy with hardware.
Dcuster

Postby Ryzing » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Hey Donna!

So good to see you....

Wow - what an ordeal. I'm sorry you, too, had to go through it. I'm especially sorry you & the other people in your office got so sick. I don't usually get sinus problems like that...but since January, I've had probably 4 or 5 sinus/throat related issues. This past Thursday, I felt it coming on again. I was off Friday, yesterday & today - and guess what? I feel fine - the sore throat is gone and my sinuses feel clear.

Thank you for your tips and advice. I'll be sure to jot all this down, just in case. I pray things go well for you with your case!

Diane
Ryzing

Postby preciousheide » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Just make sure whatever you do you keep an eye on the mold problem. I became highly alergic to mold after having it inside my walls, in a brand new building that the landlord decided to not put water barriers in. I know that mold can cause, very bad migranes, fatigue (as if alot of us dont already have enough of that) as well as if you breathe too much I was told can be fatal for some. I have tumors in my chest that I just found out are a start to emphazema, but at one point they thought it could of been mold spores (interesting)

Just be careful, mold really worries me.

good luck!!!!
preciousheide

Postby Ryzing » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Hey PH,

Well, now my supervisor is sick. She moved out of a house that had a horrendous mold issue....she had a lot of weird problems because of it, but then she seemed to get better once she & her family moved out. She didn't tell me this until yesterday, but over the course of the last two weeks, her problems have returned. Actually, she had to go to the ER yesterday because of the same old problems she had in her 'mold house' cropping back up again suddenly. I know I was in the office 2 days this week - and my throat is hurting again. I always get better on Friday night because I don't work on F, Sat. or Sun. But when I go in on Monday, it all starts up again.

Supposedly, someone came out to look at my vent yesterday while I was in Toledo. I guess there is a MAJOR water problem in the backyard of our office - and since my office is in the lowest part of the building, somehow the excess water is getting in & collecting in my duct. So God only knows what else is in this water....

Thanks for your concern! I'll keep you posted.

Diane
Ryzing

Return to ASAP Lounge