Homeowners & taxes

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Homeowners & taxes

Postby donny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 pm

OK Im just trying to help save a little money and I dont know how many this will apply to.
If you own your home or probably buying one if you are dissabled which I believe most of the people here are you can take that information down to the county clerk accessors office and proof of income and get the property taxes reduced or eliminated depending on your income.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby georgiagal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Good question, Donny -- hope someone can give you an answer or atleast a place to start!

GG
georgiagal

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey Don,

Absolutely. We just paid off our home and 20 acres a couple yrs ago (big yea!). Gee it only took 30 years. LOL!

Contact your collectors office and ask what they need. I believe what we had to do was show proof of disability and proof of income. But that may vary state to state.

We got ours frozen at the current price.

Also, if you get a Rx for hydrotherapy, you can deduct all costs relating to a whirlpool tub from your income tax.

Go for it! Please give Heidi a gentle hug from me.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby donny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Hello, This wasn"t intended as a question I was just letting everyone know this can be done.
The information may be differant from state to state but i think if your buying a house or have it payed off its something worth looking into.
Here we had to show proof of the dissability and 3 years worth of tax returns.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby Janice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:25 am

Hi Don,

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of this.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Ryzing » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 am

Donny -

This is great information for people! I wish I could lower my taxes, but we both work and make a good income. My husband and I built our home in '92 - and this September it will be paid off. We are so excited about the extra $$ we will have every month.

I hope those reading who need this will definitely check into it :D .
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby Terri in Cali » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 am

In California, and in many other states, no matter what your income level, you can go to the assessors office and request for your porperty to be reassessed, especially if you bought your home at the top of the market. If you know your home is no longer worth what you paid for it, go to the office and request it be re-assessed so your property tax can be reduced.

In California, and I only know about CA, if you collect SSDI, SSI or state disability, you can apply to have your taxes waived for the current fiscal year. But, you have to apply.

Hope this helps someone.
Terri in Cali
ACMI 22mm herniation
Decompressed 9/4/07
Still wondering if I will ever be normal
www.beautipage.com/sonomaspa
Terri in Cali

Postby passmass » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 am

In Mississippi I can have my taxes reduced by a percentage or up to
750 dollars. This is what it saved us on our house because of disability.
Also don't forget to keep up with all of your medical expenses and see if you can use them to get write off on taxes.
Thanks Passmass
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Postby Janice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Terri,

Thanks for the state information. I am in CA and this is helpful to me. My dh will be taking a day off soon so I can get the paperwork and apply. I am unable to drive (for almost 2 years now :cry: ) so I have to wait on a ride but definitely intend to take advantage of this opportunity.

Don, thanks again for initiating this post.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

taxes

Postby razzle51 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 am

Well I checked here in the state of Iowa and its not all that great of a deal , atleast not in this state . This is what the gal told me :
Your gross household income for 2007 must be under $19,500.00. This includes both of your incomes. (social security, wages, pension, interest, etc)
You must also own your home and live in it.
We need proof of your income. The deadline is May 31.
Our office is in room 102 of the court house.

But for single folks it may work fine . I tried :roll:
Last edited by razzle51 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby SMLady » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:28 am

We just had a MAJOR tax increase. Some peoples taxes went up by more than 500% in the area where I live. So they put a hold on paying all taxes until they can get it straightened out. My best friend is really in a spot because they own 7 houses in this area, so their taxes increased by $24,000 a year!!!!! It's insane!

Anyone else live in Meridian-Kessler in Indy? You know what I'm talking about!
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Return to ASAP Lounge