This cold is worse than the Surgery...

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

This cold is worse than the Surgery...

Postby Beverley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:03 pm

I went to my PCP because I had a little congestion and a sore throat.
She said I have bronchitas. Gave me the Z-pack. Some kind of pearls for cough (I don't think they do much), and a decongestant.

Whammy... Overnight I have gone from I don't feel well to a full blown head and chest event. Wheezing, Coughing so hard my stoumach hurts, now my throat hurts even more than before, my ears have pressure, and behind my eyes I have pressure too and now my nose hurt because I have to blow it every 2 seconds. Nothing seems to be helping. My ears are clogged up too.

Not sure if I should worry about the added pressures in my head or not as I don't have a headache.

Look, I am whinning more about this darn cold than I did about brain surgery.

I have my Halls cough drops, my prescription stuff, kleenex, hot tea.
I may have to resort to the Nyquil soon. Any other ideas??

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby SMLady » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:06 pm

I had those little pearls once. They didn't help me at all. I can't remember what they are called. It starts with a T. It reminded me of Teflon.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. To have a cough on top of the SM is not a lot of fun.
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby georgiagal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Beverly, if you can take Mucinex, try that. I was *trying to come down with* bronchitis not too long ago and this really helped!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

GG
georgiagal

Postby Amy Joe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:03 pm

My mom always put loads of vick on my neck, heated a 100% cotton piece of cloth then covered it with wool. Don't know why it works but it did. She had these items on hand when I was a kid. She would wrap me all up and Dad would heat honey, lemon juise and a tablespoon of wiskey.

I would sleep like a bady and feel better after a couple nights like that. Boy I miss Mommy taking care of me :(

I also agree w/ HC and GG, hot showers and Mucenex

Wishing you a reatful night

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby Beverley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks guys,

I am going to try the vicks for tonight. My Mom used that trick too. Funny how we forget these things when we get sick. May a hot hot bath first then the vicks. Yeah, I remember that smelling like locker room when you wake up. Hopefully, the stoumach settles down before morning.

Used the Honey, lemon and whiskey too as a kid. Right now I don't think I could stoumach that one though. lol

The coughing is a little better for now, maybe the meds are kicking in now. I should have gone to the Dr. on Friday when I first felt the congestion start. I think I may have waited just a bit too long.

I think I am going to dump the pearls and go with the cough syrup. At least you can feel the cough syrup coat you throat on the way down. Those Tesslon perls are a crock. I will try to get some Musinex tomorrow. Hopefully, I fee a little better.

I left a message for NS, I am not sure if I should worry about my head feeling like it could pop off so soon after the Duraplasty. I am probably worried for nothing though, there is no swelling and not really a headache just feels more like a top that has been wound too tight. lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Beverley
Beverley

Postby Ryzing » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi Beverley!

Whenever I get congested like that, I use my kids' BABY VAPOR BATH. Johnson's makes this stuff, and you can also buy generic brands at stores like Toys R Us and Target. It is sooo worth walking to the baby product aisle to get it. Draw yourself a bath, pour some into the hot water - and VOILA! It has worked wonders for our family - and the scent stays on your skin all night.

So sorry to hear you've been down with this. I pray you are feeling better soon!

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby cash71 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi Beverly,

Hope you are doing a bit better tonight. Colds are the absolute worst when you have cm or sm. they usually give me a bad flare up in symptoms. i tell you what has worked for me but of course everyone is different and you should check with you doc. :wink:

Several years ago I went to a walk in clinic and for some reason an internal medicine physician was on duty there. He gave me the best advice ever. He told me not to bother with the cold pills b/c they don't work ( I had already discovered this myself anyway :P ) What he told me to do was to use Otrivin nasal spray(only while you are have the cold) and either tylenol or advil for the aches and fever. The combo of these two works like a charm. the Otrivin instantly opens up everything so you can breath and the tylenol helps the rest.

When I have a stubborn dry cough I use codeine. Codeine is a very powerful cough suppressant so you shouldn't use it if you are coughing up any nasty junk only for dry, nagging coughs. The kind that make it impossible to sleep. It only takes a quarter of a tylenol #3 for me and my cough is gone so I can sleep. coughing is very bad for syrinxes so i avoid it at all costs.

Anyway these are my tips. I hope you are doing better.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby Beverley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks Diane,

That sounds great. I had never thougt about the baby type. I have used the vapor stuff like vicks before but a hot steemy room full of it might just be enough open up some the he clogged up parts of my head.

Thanks Caroline,

I have never heard of that one Otrivin nasal spray. Like I have said to Diane I just need my head to open up.. I will have to look for it.

I can't do the Codeine, I cannot take any pain meds Codeine or stronger, I have never found one yet that I can take that does not make me so severly nausous.

Even after my decompression surgery after the first day and a half of throwing-up and dry heaving for hours even with the meds that are sopostoo stop the nausea. I just took Tyonel for the pain. They kept after me saying I needed the pain meds but gosh, I would rather be in pain than nausous any day..

I can take Torodol that is the strongest, but because it has aspirn in it they did not want to use it after the surgery. That was a great fear of mine going in for surgery but for me an maybe I just have a high tolerance for pain, honestly, I have had much worse pain with the Kidney Stones so the Tyonel took the edge off, well maybe a little.

Beverley
Beverley

Postby georgiagal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 pm

One of the things my mom gave me as a kid when I got sick was "Vernors" Ginger Ale. Growing up, I only got it when I was sick. I still demand this (along with Liptons cup-o-soup and Keebler club crackers).

I swear that the extra ginger in this makes me feel better -- either it has healing power in a medicinal sense or I just thought it did. It ALWAYS helps! (Just make sure you don't inhale as you sip because inhaling the ginger will make you cough!)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

GG
georgiagal

Postby cash71 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi Beverly,

I can't take tylenol#3 either as the make me really nauseated and the room spin-even one tab does this. But a quarter of a tab (7.5mg) doesn't make me nauseated and halts my cough in its tracks! In Canada we can also get Tylenol#1 without a prescription and these also have 7.5mg of codeine so I can take one of these and it does the same thing.

If you have a dry cough that won't let you rest I would suggest trying a quarter tab. It has been a life saver for me. Last winter when I had a bad cough I had the worst flare up of sm and cm symptoms EVER!!! I'll now do anything to prevent coughing.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Return to ASAP Lounge