Shingles- URGH!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Shingles- URGH!

Postby Ryzing » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:33 pm

How many of you have had Shingles more than once? If you have, what were you told the reason is for it recurring?

Gosh dang it - I've got it...and I just had it 3.5 years ago. I'm not under any stress, no problems - in fact, I can't figure out why it came on again so soon after the last time. I'm 38 years old, a bit short for my weight, and besides the SM, I'm pretty healthy. It came on yesterday afternoon like a tornado, and like the last time, has settled on my upper body, left side - the strongest pain on my ear & scalp. No break-out, yet - I'm catching it in time (unlike last time) before the break-out by getting a prescription for Valtrex.

If anyone else has had Shingles more than once, I'd really like your input on this. I'm baffled and, well, ticked off that I've got it again so soon.

Thanks in advance!

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby Beverley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 pm

What I understood about shingles is that normally one attack is enough to make you immune. BUT... not like we need another rare thing.... In a few... people can have more than one attack.

Shingles show on the body in like quadrants of the central nervous system so my guess is that you don't have it in the same place as yau had it last time?? Not sure if that is exactly the medical terms.

We have alot of older people at our church and it seemed for a while that people were getting it right and left. But also like you a couple of people that got it were not in the quote "older" catagory.

Geeze, I think there should be a limit on how many things one person can get that are soposably rare or uncommon. Don't you??

This is not fair.... I heard that all weekend from the kids..... lol

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby Ryzing » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Beverley!

Thanks for the information. I have no clue what the heck is going on. And in my case, it is trying to settle in the exact location it was in before - the worst of it on my left ear, traveling down the nerves of my neck, shoulder, upper arm...down to my wrist. Last time, though, it snagged my pinky & ring finger. This time, the pain stops at my wrist.

Our admin. asst. at work said the same thing you did about older folks being the ones who get this most often. I guess in my kids' eyes, I'm an 'older folk'....hahahahaha.

Thanks again!

Diane

EDITED TO ADD:

I just found this online - and at the end, it said if you're having recurring problems with Shingles, you may want to think about avoiding, GASP, chocolate! I think I'd rather have the Shingles...

What causes it?It is caused by the herpes varicella-zoster virus, which also causes chickenpox. If you have had chickenpox in the past, you are likely to be immune to shingles, but this may not be the case if your immune system has been weakened recently. Things that weaken the immune system include other infections, stress, being run down from poor diet, lack of sleep or heavy physical work, recreational or medicinal drugs, or immune diseases.
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby Beverley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm

No Chocolate, No way, who new..... That is not fair either....

I have to wonder, with all the kids getting the shots now for Chickenpox.. Are they going to be more likely to get shingles as an adlult?

I would rather have chickenpox as a kid than shingles or even Chickenpox as an adult.

Look it is amazing they do a study on the effects of Chocolate and Shingles? Would seem to me that money would be better spent on SM and CM than that....

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby georgiagal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Ouch, Diane, sorry to hear that. My sister-in-law has had shingles several times and each time it seems worse. I had chickenpox as a teen, keeping my fingers crossed I'm immune.

I hope this doesn't stay with you very long. Is there a medication you can take or a lotion to use? I can't remember what my SIL did, but I can ask her tomorrow.

Feel better soon.

GG
georgiagal

Postby Snoozie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Diane, I am so sorry to hear about this. Hopefully hubby is already there and you are fast asleep.

I will say a special prayer for you for some relief.

Keesha, you get these every 6 months wow, I am so sorry to hear that. I have never had shingles but I know someone who did and they were hurting bad. I hope you are feeling better after your fall this weekend.

Hang in there Diane, I will talk to ya soon...Sue
Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs 34:14)”
Snoozie

Postby bri23t » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:37 pm

hello to all..shingles is a form of the herpes virus, kinda like cold sores r...

and just b/c u've had them once doesnt mean they wont come back...
when they r first breaking out u r very contagious so becareful what u touch and who touches it after...like towels or pillow cases...

they can be very painful this im told..i hope u start feeling better soon...rest is key...being stressed or overtired can make it worse...

when i was a working nurse, some patients seemed to be seasonal w/ their outbreaks and others were stress induced...

i think it just depends on ur immune system and when its at a weak point ull be more suseptible (sp?)...good luck and feel better soon:)
dx CM and SM 09/05, failed PFD 10/05
VP shunt 11/05
removal of cerebral tonsils 1/07
SM (through entire spinal cord)
TCS and EDS dx at TCI 4/08
TCS surgery 4/08, pfd revision and VP shunt revision 5/08
bri23t

Postby Vagreeneys » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:54 pm

Sorry to hear you have the shingles it is tough. My MIL use to get them alot but she was in her 80's I can't remember what they gave her for them but it was the first time i had ever seen her in so much pain. I think hers was immune system related she had a lot of health issues and didn't sleep well. I wish i could ask her what she used but she passed in august of 2007. Good luck and I do hope you feel better soon

Heide
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Shingles

Postby razzle51 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:37 am

This is a excellant article about Shingles and remember they are highly contagious .

http://www.shinglesinfo.com/index.html
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Robertsgirl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:09 am

Ohhh. Diane,

I hope that you are feeling better soon. Normally, chocolate is what I use to self medicate. Hope that you can find a replacement.

Lisa
Robertsgirl

Postby dtyree » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:34 am

Oooohh, poor thing! I am terribly sorry you have to experience yet another unpleasant thing in you life!! Just outright stinks.

From your definition of what causes this, sounds like you need a long vacation on a tropical island with a chaise lounge and sun umbrella with your feet touching the warm waters as they lap against the shore and a cool refreshing drink in one hand with a ten pound box of chocolates in the other!

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby kiminfla » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am

Di, All I can say is "OUCH!!!!" I hope it passes quickly and STAYS gone this time! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby Ryzing » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your well-wishes. It is very much appreciated! I've had 2 Valtrex so far - but I'm not feeling better yet. I guess I'm expecting a miracle! I can't take ibuprofen with the Valtrex, which is something I take daily. I had a probate hearing for work today and decided just to come home after it was over instead of trying to get through the rest of the day. It's like someone is stabbing me in the side of the head.

Keesha - I don't know how you can stand having this stuff every 6 months. What are your doctors saying is making it come on so much? Your weakened immune system? Stress?

GG - from what I've read, if you've had chicken pox, you are even more at risk for getting Shingles. I guess it's basically just the virus laying dormant in your body until something triggers it.

dtyree - I know what you're saying...I was just thinking about it the other day when the kids were complaining that they're the ONLY kids not leaving town for spring break! (poor things...)

Thanks again, everyone. You all are the best!

Diane
Ryzing

Postby Graybo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi Diane

I had chicken pox when I was young, then got shingles a few months after my laminectomy on my lower back in 1989. The shingles came out more or less at the site of the back injury. Another time I got shingles on my face as well as my back and it got right into the corner of my eye.

I have also had cold sores quite a lot over the years but not very often now. Cold sores seem to get you when you are run down or very stressed don't they? I found a good way to zap cold sores - if you get some 35% hydrogen peroxide and dab a bit onto the cold sore as soon as you feel it tingling, maybe have to do that a couple of times that day, and it usually dries up straight away. Haven't had shingles for years but I would think it would dry the sores up in the same way?

GP
Graybo

Postby ke4uzj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 am

I have never had shingles but my father in law has many times, everytime he gets a cold or flu, or any other thing that knocks down his resistance he get it . Sorry to hear about this I know it is excrutiating.
hope it gets better soon
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Next

Return to ASAP Lounge