Some news from GRAYWOLF re: Proc at DUKE

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Some news from GRAYWOLF re: Proc at DUKE

Postby graywolf » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 am

Have some news for all my friends out there.

As many of you may know - I have been suffering very debilitating symptoms from what was dx as 'Chiari Malformation'

Went to Duke for eval. w/ Dr. Sampson (neurosurg)...MRI showed 7mm 'CM'... Dr. Sampson is very very deliberate and conservative related to not just wanting to do "decomp' surg.

Tests found that my CSF was "very tight" due to the 'CM' at the base of the brain. Anyway, Dr.Sampson needed a "few other tests and consults from few other Docs' to make sure that we weren't missing anything."

I really appreciate this approach. I think Dr. Sampson and his Staff are the absolute Greatest ! ===

As it happened, my CSF also showed up as "low" amount and they were concerned that I might have a leak.

Dr.Sampson at Duke (neurosurg) - he wanted to send me for some more tests and to see a few other Docs before doing the decomp surg. / well, I have some news for everybody...

Have been recup. from procedure done last Tues. (3/08)...anyway, I went to see a Dr.Gray for a test related to low pressure in my CSF ... She found that I had 8 breaks in the Dura surrounding my Spinal cord. / Well they did "blood patches" (total of 8). After 7 days of laying flat on my back - I found that many of my symptoms have been eliminated ... :D

Hope this information helps somebody else. Write back if you need more specs / Best regards, graywolf
graywolf

Postby georgiagal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:16 am

Good to hear that you're doing so well and had a few good docs to boot!

Take it easy.

GG
georgiagal

Postby streetsense » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 am

graywolf,
Very interesting info. I'm hoping that the recovery continues well.

The more I find out about SM/CM issues, the more it sounds like bad plumbing. I always hated having to work on plumbing. Getting the leaks stopped can sometimes be a chore. It's always better to call in the experts!
:wink:
streetsense
SM 7mm T-5 to T-10 with less clearly defined extension down through the lumbar vertebrae
sleep apnea
streetsense

Postby Janice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 am

Hi Graywolf,

I'm happy to hear that you're getting relief from some of your symptoms. Who would have thought that it would happen by only patching breaks/leaks in the Dura, without decompression surgery.

I pray you have continued healing with remaining symptoms.

Take care and thanks for the update.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Janice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Streetsense,

You're right, it does sound like bad plumbing. Nothing in life is simple.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to ASAP Lounge