Just a Mom? *cute story*

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Just a Mom? *cute story*

Postby cash71 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:19 pm

JUST A MOM?

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 's office, was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

What I mean is, ' explained the recorder, 'do you have a job or are you just a ...?'

'Of course I have a job,' snapped the woman.
'I'm a Mom.'
'We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it, 'Said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, 'Official Interrogator' or 'Town Registrar.'
'What is your occupation?' she probed.
What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.
'I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.'

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in mid air and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

'Might I ask,' said the clerk with new interest, just what you do in your field?'

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply,
'I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) In the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities,(any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money.'

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than 'just another Mom.'

Motherhood! What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations' And great grandmothers 'Executive Senior Research Associates?' I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts 'Associate Research Assistants.'

I just thought this was too cute and had to share :D

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby georgiagal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:21 pm

What a fantastic & cute story! It gave me a smile today!! :D

GG
georgiagal

Postby Amy Joe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Caroline, that was beautiful. About 22-23 years ago DH and I were in a bowling league. At the time I had 3 children, ages 8months to 3 yrs old.

A young gal on the other team asked what I did? I replyed a stay at home mom, the little snot said I have never met a housewife before!!

I thought about for a while, weeks even, it bothered me that much! So I decided the next time anyone asked I would declare I am a Domestic Engineer. I used it even on any credit applications with income!! :)

I wished I had your title years ago, it is perfect!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby ke4uzj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm

grandmothers are upper management,,,,and the great grandmothers are the coe's, and God is the owner of the corporation :wink:
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Postby Janice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:56 pm

AWESOME!!

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby cash71 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Glad you all enjoyed it as much as I did

8) Caroline

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby MorningBroken » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:40 pm

That story was absolutely amazing, and true.

Aint nothing so demoralizing than hearing, "Your a housewife, oh, so that means you DONT WORK?"

WHA???????????!!!!!????????????

Can ya just imagine what a union would do, if an employer asked their employees to work regular 16 hour days, 7 days a week, deal with temper tantrums from co-workers, no benefits, no wages, be on-call 24-7, have to clean up vomit, urine, and feces as needed...... AND provide maid service, accounting services, secretarial services, transportation, vocational instruction, mental health counseling, dietary support and education, be a short order cook, AND provide daycare services?????

Can anyone say STRIKE????

Nah, I dont work.

100% Mom
110% Tired

PS - When I actually worked as an Administrative Assistant, I did less actual work than I do now as a stay at home mom.
MorningBroken

Postby georgiagal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Caroline, I absolutely LOVE your new pic!!! Is that your daughter? She is beautiful.

GG
georgiagal

Postby cash71 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Yes, that's my youngest Isabella. She is 5 and a real cutie :D

cash71

Postby SMLady » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am

I love this. I have always made it a point to ask people if they work outside the home rather than do you have a job, because when my son was born, I went to part-time. The two days I was "off", I worked harder than any of the days I was actually at work. I decided to go back to work outside the home full-time because staying home was too hard! I have a deep admiration for mothers who stay home, as well as mothers who work outside the home. Don't get me wrong. I love being a mother. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Caroline, your daughter is a real cutie!!!
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Return to ASAP Lounge