What is your favorite Flower

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

What is your favorite Flower

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:50 am

Good morning everyone! I was thinking of my Grandmother this morning! She loved her gardens and flowers. So I thought we could all share WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE and does it have a special meaning?

Mine is Lady Slippers. Grammy and I would walk thru the woods together and just look at them. In my state you can not pick them. These were one of her fav's too.

I would say grammy lets just pick some, and she would say no hunny they are given by god for all to enjoy. While out in the woods we would gather swamp pinks which smell so good.

Looking forward to reading all about YOUR flowers!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby Vagreeneys » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 am

Good Morning

a white rose
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Postby dtyree » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:15 am

Oh you picked a favorite passion of mine, gardening!!!

I love hy-brid tea roses, I have several varieties with more going in this spring. Also have about 120 different Iris with one being special. A good friend of mine shared a deep purple bearded Iris that came from her mother's garden, so it must be about 80 years old, beautiful!!

Another friend happened to be at the Govenor's Palace in Williamsburg, VA when they were clipping back their English boxwoods. She slipped several pieces in her handbag and sent me 8 in the mail. I planted them and now they are about 2 feet high and georgeous!!

We also have plum, peach, and pear trees. One problem. There is a woodchuck that loves the pear trees. He manages to strip them clean about 2 weeks before they ripen. I have not had a pear yet!! Gonna have to do something about that. And have made several pints of plum jelly, turned out really good.

Also have a large hosta planting. My wife sent off and ordered about 30 plants. This really cuts down on the grass mowing, put in another garden!! And I have a summer garden. Usually put in about 30 impatiens with a monkey grass border. Adds a little flash of color to the front yard. And the house came with several light orange azaleas which will begin their color in a few weeks. They are unusual, but striking. And there are gardens with just a variety of plants.

Edit - I forgot these. We have two huge, about 60 feet tall, Bradford pear trees. Right now they are literally covered with 100's of white flowers. As they drop, looks like snow on the ground. Also, 2 summer trees, and I cannot think of their names. Awful! Mid summer they are covered with magenta colored blooms. Probably think of names about August-will let you know!

A favorite, I like them all!!!

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby birdlover3 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:41 am

Talking about flowers is a wonderful way to start my day. Thanks Amy Joe & you were blessed to have a Grammy that shared so much with you. My mama would love the lady slippers growing in the wild since she’s always liked orchids.

Keesha, I had to look up to see what an Edelweiss flower is since we don’t have them in our area. They are beautiful. They look so thick & soft.

VaGreeneyes, I looked up the meaning of a white rose. It means “Happy Loveâ€￾. That has to make you smile.

David, I can almost picture your yard. 120! Wow. What a beautiful painted yard you and your wife have. Bradford pear trees are so beautiful this time of the year.

I love my hybrid tea roses, but I also love daisies & dahlias. Daisies are supposed to be so easy to grow, but not in my yard. I can hardly wait to see what new flowers we’re going to add this year.
birdlover3

Postby dtyree » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:50 am

There is the beautiul, simple song from the Sound of Music when the entire family sings Edleweiss on stage. They then peal off one by one and begin their journey to Switzerland. Sweet!

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby docrx » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:49 am

What a wonderful question to brighten everyone's day! I had to chime in on this one. . .mine are roses. My grandmother was named Rose then I was named Amanda Rose and I named my little girl Sayde Rose. So roses hold a special meaning for my family!

Amanda Rose
Every Day is a Blessing from God!
Mom to one beautiful baby girl

Syrinx C6-C7 5mm
OTC- surgery Sept 16
docrx

Postby Beverley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:21 am

I love them all. Even a simple apple blossom can make me smile.

Well many not dandy lions so much they make me sneeze. lol

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby cash71 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:28 am

Well Calla Lilies were what my wedding bouquet was made of but I think my all time favorite is Lilacs. I LOVE the smell, they are so pretty and they mean spring is here.

8) Caroline[/img]
Last edited by cash71 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby jinglebells » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:04 pm

Amy Joe,
Flowers are a lifeline for me,over the past ten years i have developed a flair for gardening.Our neighbours always comment on our garden,but for the last two years it is feeling like hard work,but i have got a reputation to keep up now,which helps to motivate me.[JUST HAVE TO GET HUBBY TO DO THE DONKEY WORK NOW]So my favourite has to be cosmos,it is the cheats plant because it grows anywhere and self seeds everywhere.It comes in beautiful shades of dark pink,light pink and white.
Jinglebells
jinglebells

Postby Graybo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Wow

That bird of padadise looks great. There are so many diferent shapes and colours in flowers aren't there? Haven't got many of my flower pics on the computer but here's a pic of a field with poppies growing in last summer
Graybo

Postby ke4uzj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:32 pm

i have two first up roses of all varieties especially the peach colored ones.

next is the confederate rose which is really a hibiscus(spelling)
for those who never heard of it is a bush the flowers out whitein the morning then turns pink as the day goes on and then the bloom dies and it starts over again...it is beautiful
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Postby Amy Joe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 pm

What wonderful thoughts come with flowers.

Caroline the lilac is my second, again my grammy had dozens of gardens, flowering trees, fruit trees but her prize bushes were her double dark purple lilacs.

HC were those outside your house? My lord were they beautiful.

Thank the heavens spring is here are we can all soak up the sun and smells of freshness and beauty.

Amy Joe

ps this put me in such a good frame of mind I am now baking gingersnap cookies!!!! :D
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Return to ASAP Lounge