question about cerebral tonsils

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

question about cerebral tonsils

Postby larmils » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:51 pm

I know many have talked about having them removed what exactly does that consist of doing...Sorry if it sounds abit silly but are the removing part of your brain and how does that effect you?

Thank you...This site and the people on this site are wonderful I am seeing!

Laura
larmils

Postby bri23t » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm

hello again laura:)...what they do to the tonsils is resect them...pretty much (my understanding was) they go in and cut off the herniated part then cauterize (spelling?) where they were removed at to stop bleeding...

i like to use the excuse that im missing part of my brain when im forgetful or do or say something dumb...my family just rolls their eyes while smiling but hey i think i might be on to something b/c before the drs removed part of my brain i never was as forgetful as i am now...

hope that i have answered ur question and with correct info...which with my brain is iffy sometimes...i think i am right about this but im sure those who post after me will be able to clarify if im wrong...:)
dx CM and SM 09/05, failed PFD 10/05
VP shunt 11/05
removal of cerebral tonsils 1/07
SM (through entire spinal cord)
TCS and EDS dx at TCI 4/08
TCS surgery 4/08, pfd revision and VP shunt revision 5/08
bri23t

Postby lovemyblessings » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:45 pm

My daughter's neurosurgeon said he was going to remove her cerebellar tonsils, but what he actually did was resect them. Her herniation isn't as pronounced now, but she definitely still has cerebellar tonsils. I remains to be seen (well, I have the MRI, but not the results) if the surgery improved the CSF flow.
~Dawn~
Blessed Mommy to six amazing blessings here with us
John 10, Marah 8½, Keegan 7½, Luke 5½, Quintin 4½, and Ruth 3
Caleb Logan expected in August and
And three blessings waiting in Glory, including Selah Marie born @ 17 weeks 4/15/2009
lovemyblessings

Return to ASAP Lounge