What to do during recovery

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby hikealaska » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

HELP!!! I am almost two weeks post op. I feel like I am losing it. I am tired of books, magazines, television, movies, computer and SITTING. Any great creative ideas on what to do with an active mind but unwilling body? :idea:
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby dtyree » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:14 pm

You can do what I did after my surgery, move furniture, shampoo the carpet, scrubbed walls. Yes I did, but don't you dare!

Several short walks are OK. Like Keesha mentioned, take up a new hobby. Try painting, charcoals, water colors. Learn guitar (he, he,) Anything that does not require lifting more than 5 lbs.

Just go out a make a stab at something.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby dani » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 pm

I have recently taken up beading, which is fun. It's nice to have a little creative outlet.

It requires a lot of patience though, I'm forever dropping things (the moment I stop concentrating on holding something, I drop it!). It's good for practicing your fine motor skills but sometimes not so good for your sanity.

There are several places you can order beads online, so you wouldn't even need to leave home to get started. There's also some great magazines that you can get inspiration from.

Dani
Danielle (Australia)
facebook.com/whimsicalowl

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Syringomyelia, Tethered Spinal Cord and Craniocervical Instability.

C1/C2 Fusion: 18th December 2009.
Spinal Cord Detethering: 19th November 2008.
dani

Postby ke4uzj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 pm

do what i did after my fusion surgery...write crappy poems and make your family read them, and give you opinions, and watch them make up stories of how good it is when you know they were purposely made into pieces of crap.
it entertained me for 2 weeks :twisted:
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Postby ke4uzj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:36 pm

oh but btw....my bunch is used to me doing things like this to them to entertain myself , and they caught on quickly so then it was back to tv, but it was fun while it lasted :D
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

ke4uzj

Postby streetsense » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Writing is always good and a much neglected part of expression due to the hectic pace of life these days. In addition to what has been mentioned, consider a personal or a family history.

Interview some old folks or just jot down what you remember they said about the past, if they're already gone.

Drag out old pictures. Use them to help prompt your own memory. Label them with what you know about who is in the picture, what the approximate date it was taken, where it fits into the bigger story. Tape record conversations with people who can give you info about them.
streetsense
SM 7mm T-5 to T-10 with less clearly defined extension down through the lumbar vertebrae
sleep apnea
streetsense

Postby hikealaska » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:31 pm

These are great suggestions. (Except perhaps David's idea of the guitar. I don't want to torture the dogs or the neighbors. :wink: )

Keep them coming. I am thinking of a couple. My grandmother used to crochet stuffed animals for the children's ward at the hospital. I have asked my aunt to send over the patterns and see what I can do with them.

Send as many ideas as you can think of. I had no hobbies at home when all this started.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby ke4uzj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:46 pm

well, i typically have strange ways of entertaining myself...as ya'll might have noticed :wink:

but, i also find it helpful to use this time to write actual letters to family friends, and anyone else i have not truly connected with ( yes this means give up the email :shock: lol): i also have gone through photos and arranged them, kids old art work and school papers, and i went through all the magazines i have and cut out pics and articles and put them in a folder of ways to redo my house(hubby loved this one :cry: )

hope some of this helps......i have others that i like such as taking things like can opener and toaster apart to see how they work btw : don't do this unless you really want to buy new ones :oops:
TO BEAT STRESS:

ke4uzj

Postby Beverley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 pm

lol. Tomorrow the SOAPS will be back on....

I would get up, make coffee, watch some of the morning shows, eat lunch, watch the soaps, before I knew it my Son was home from school and could get him to do all the little thing that were bugging me that I couldn't do.

Poor kid, he cleaned window sills, pick up things that I missed throwing in the trash. I know one kid that was never so glad as when I went back to work. He comes home from school now and can do his Homework in peace probably not quiet he is 14 after all.

Also, I really need new curtins in my living room. My dumdum cats have them so messed up they are completely uneven at the bottom. lol This comes from laying on the the couch far toooooo much. lol

I really like the Sudko puzzles but they can give you a headache too sometimes. lol

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby dtyree » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:21 pm

It could be worse, my son is learning the drums. He is now banging on any flat surface he can find with whatever he can find!!

OK, will share this with you. I took up quilting during recovery and have found it to be a great thing to do. Hundreds of patterns are available and you are the one to come up the the myriad of colors available for the finished project. Went out and got a how to book, sewing machine, thread, material of what I wanted, rulers, pads, cutters and went to town. It's great to create something and you have a handy whatever when you are finished.

I always wanted to go into wood working, but way too expensive for the tools. The quilting satisfies the creating nature and find it fun to find a challenging pattern, take your time, and have this creation. Try it. Might be better than the guitar, will not disturb the dogs or neighbors!!

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby Amy Joe » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 am

Karen

Your ID says it all to me! How about scrape booking all your pictures from hiking!

All the great places you have seen and been!

This is my first project I am doing once I get moved. Make a book for each of my kids!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

Postby hikealaska » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:34 am

Amy Joe,

That is a fantastic idea. I have dozens and dozens of pictures. Both film and digital. I am a walking poster child for the Alaska tourism industry. But right now the pictures are in a state of disarray to say the least.

Scrap booking and crocheting and quilting that type of thing are active enough to keep me entertained. Great ideas. :idea:
Karen
hikealaska

Return to ASAP Lounge