Tid bit of Information

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Tid bit of Information

Postby dtyree » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Been doing a lot of studying abount neurological conditions, illnesses, diseases, etc. Found this little bit of info that kinda threw me. For neurological things, it is found that a little alcoholic drink helps with improving symptoms, i.e. wine, licquor (spirits), beer, but in MODERATION!!

So, went out and got some bourbon, thought I would give it a try and find some validation to this. Couldn't hurt.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby Janice » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 pm

I read the same thing somewhere on a site.

Happy drinking!!

I can't do it. It makes me sick to my stomach now and I love apple martinis!!
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby cash71 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:00 pm

I think most things in moderation are ok but just be cautious as A LOT of meds that we all take should not be taken with alchohol. Just somthing to keep in mind. And count me in the group that alcohol doesn't agree with anymore. I just don't feel well when I have even a glass.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby Ryzing » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Hey David,

I have heard this too - and it's funny you post this now because recently I had a 73 year old client tell me she didn't drink, but when I went to move her from her apartment to an assisted living facility, I found her old apartment filled with BUD LIGHT! (she lives alone, no family or boyfriend) So when I asked her about it, she said, "Oh...the beer...well, I usually choke my pills down with a can of beer." :shock: That confession explains so many things.... :?

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Tid bit of information

Postby hikealaska » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 pm

David,
Pick a good wine. One that goes well with lasagna. :wink:

I know I will!!!
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby Vagreeneys » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Well let us know if it works.

I am not a drinker never have been don't like the taste but if it helps may have to try it.

Heide :D
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Postby bri23t » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:35 pm

hi david...i had heard such things too so i thought i would give it a shot (no pun intended:)) and found that while i felt good, it made my joints very wobbly and have only drank twice recently and both times had a fall that same night...

and the only thing i can relate the falls to is the alcohol...so now alcohol is now another thing i have to cross off my list of do's and add it to my list of dont do's...

i havent been diagnosed w/ eds yet but im almost certian i have it so those that do have eds...walk carefully when drinking!!
dx CM and SM 09/05, failed PFD 10/05
VP shunt 11/05
removal of cerebral tonsils 1/07
SM (through entire spinal cord)
TCS and EDS dx at TCI 4/08
TCS surgery 4/08, pfd revision and VP shunt revision 5/08
bri23t

Postby Vagreeneys » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:17 am

Me too Keesha but it is a thought :D
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Postby dtyree » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 am

Last nigth took a little bourbon straight (actually I think it might have been a little too much) Whoa!!, burned all the way down. OK, so mixed it with diet cola, went down a little better. Oooh, what a warm feeling had to go outside to cool off. Took my meds with the bourbon and went to lay down. The head is spinning a bit, a little more, I really forgot how much you are supposed to take for a drink, been a long while. All of a sudden, some of the neuropathy began to dissapear, felt pretty good. Fell asleep and slept for 8 hours straight. That is a first in a long while!!

Don't think I will do this every evening, only when I really need it. Like taking a sleeping pill, or two. But it did increase the wobbles and did not need those.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby svennobalance » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 am

Sometimes on weekends when I've done every chore I need to I'll have a single screwdriver - kills the anxiety kills some pain - it is a nice feeling. But I too find it to be one of those don't-leave-the-couch drugs. I'm a little too prone to falls as is.

It is bad if done too close to bed-time (as a long time insomniac I gave up the occasional evening beer as son as I caught the connection).
Gabriel
chiari, decompressed dec 05, syrinx, hydro, baclofen pump October 2007, rev jan '08, VP shunt April 2009
svennobalance

Return to ASAP Lounge