Things we take for granted

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Things we take for granted

Postby hikealaska » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:20 pm

I am just needing an outlet. . . .

I have been feeling so off kilter for so long. My decompression surgery was 3/17 and my stitches came out Wednesday. My surgeon was a compassionate man. He shaved carefully and since I have fairly long hair most of the "zipper" in the back of my head can be covered by my hair.

So, today I went to do something that was relaxing and very enjoyable a few months back. I went to the salon. First, I wanted my hair shaped correctly to cover the zipper. FIRST thing we take for granted. I still can't drive, so my DH had to drive me. Second, I couldn't lean back into the sink so they could wash my hair. They had to stack up towels and pad the area to make it manageable. Still brought tears to my eyes. The haircut went well. . . time for the next thing we take for granted. I went to have a pedicure. I could not sit at the angle to have my feet in the swirling water. The chair, which was a massage chair hurt more than helped.

I bypassed the eyebrow wax, which I really really need, but I couldn't face the sink again. Nor did I have the massage on the table; FACE DOWN on a table? No way.

So to make a long story short (too late) I was disappointed today. A day at the salon was something I used to treasure. Today it was painful. Hoping it gets better. Not sure it will. I had such huge progress right after surgery. Now I seem to have stalled. :cry: Very frustrated.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby dtyree » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey there hun! ( That's southern for everybody) Sorry your day did not go as expected. Maybe that's the word, expected. We do do things that we do because we know what the outcome is going to be. And there is this comfort level, nothing that is going to get in our way to mess things up, so everything goes as planned.

Several weeks ago, I had a particular day planned. It was my day to go out, do a little shopping, little looking, and maybe some Chinese food for lunch (love that stuff!). Well, had not gone a mile and had a flat tire. It took every ounce of my energy to get that donut thing on. I was wasted. By the time I got home, my blood sugar was so low, there was not enought orange juice in the house to bump it back up. The whole day was ruined for me because of a flat tire. My day did not go as expected.

Your day was ruined by a surgery, your expectations were not met because you could not do as you used to. As Scarlet O'Hara said, tomorrow is another day. And sometimes we have to have that attitude, today really stunck, but yes tomorrow might be a better one. And in light of all the days we live, one is not that big. It might bum us out right now, but tomorrow just might be better. I think it is called hope. A hope in the days to come. And they will be better, of course not all of them, but they will.

Now, you are limited in what you can do and maybe savor times out too much, I don't blame you for that, we all do it. But try not to let the whole experience get to you. You had your hair done? Good. Probably felt good to have it washed (and your zipper covered up). There was something positive. The rest, well, next time maybe.

But you came into the salon different today. You just had major surgery and it will take some time until things are back to normal. Back to that time when things were automatic and expected. So now, there is a zipper in your head which will always be a gentle reminder that things have changed. There are more salon days ahead, and as you strengthen, the expectations will be there. What has been taken for granted will leave, and things will be back to "normal". Now, it takes time. It is difficult, I remember having all this time on my hands after surgery, having to rely on others for simple tasks. Now that is behind me, and tomorrow will be another day.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby akgirl » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey Karen!
From one Alaskan girl to another I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Just when you think it's safe to venture back to the salon.
Give it a little time and try it again. Maybe just one body part at a visit!
Blessings!
Karen
SM T10-T12 trauma?
DDD

Still thinking of a brilliant quote...
akgirl

Postby ke4uzj » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:23 am

take this time to be a slob :D forget the salon, get ya some comfy clothes, a ponytail holder for ya hair , let the unibrow grow in, and the toe nails grow into talons. enjoy being a woman for awhile...then when you feel better go back to the salon and see how long it take them to fix what you've undone . and take a picture of their faces when you walk in and sit down :shock:
i have turned into a slob myself, my new wardrobe consists of sweats,t shirts (with logos from everything you can find) shorts, and pj bottoms that i will wear to the store just to horrify my daughter :wink:
but of course my wardrobe from before was jeans,boots,and comfy shirts so it wasn't much of a stretch from reality lol but, i did cut my hair off for fusion surgery and donate over 18 inches of wavy hair to locks of love, it was worth it though .
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Postby Vagreeneys » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:02 am

Hey if your like me you have more off days then you do on days :D

I am proud that you even went out your surgery was what 2 weeks ago.

Didn't yea hear sweats is the way to go nowadays :D

Take it easy your beautiful as you are.

Time heals all wounds :D

It will get better
Heide
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Return to ASAP Lounge