Home from surgery....will post op headaches go away?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Home from surgery....will post op headaches go away?

Postby kimbalock » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:22 pm

Hello, friends. It's day 4 after surgery and here I sit at home. I'm exhausted, to say the least. My NS said things went great and he's very hopeful that my headaches will be relieved. I feel pretty good, considering, but was wondering if any of you who have had the surgery seemed to have any type of pressure headache within a couple of days after surgery? I guess I'm being paranoid but trying to stay positive at the same time.

A couple of times when I coughed, I had pressure headaches. They weren't the same as before my surgery as they were ALWAYS left sided before. Post op the headaches I got were kind of all over. I was also having many spasms which seemed to cause a general tension type headache so I'm hoping the coughing just aggravated that.

Anyway, I'm home. I'm vowing to be a good patient and follow directions so I can recover as quickly as possible. I'll get the full list of what my NS did at my follow up next week. It sounds as if he did the craniotomy, laminectomy and duraplasty. He took the graft from my thigh. Oh, and whatever it's called when they cut down the cerebral tonsils. I was really out of it when I talked to him in the hospital. Georgetown was great, though. One of the ICU nurses told me they had 4 Chiari patients that week.

I was more than happy to talk to ALL of the student doctors who came in to see me. We need the awareness.

I'll keep you informed on my recovery. BTW, I'm part of the punk hair club for women now, too. LOL!

Is there a thread that is totally recovery related? I'm curious as to what I'm in for but I know everyone is different.

HUGS,
Kim from MD
kimbalock

Postby Janice » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Kim,

Thanks for letting us know you're home and things are going as well as to be expected, 4 days post-op. I'm happy to hear your surgery was successful and pray the recovery is successful also.

It's great that you were able to talk with students about this condition, awareness starts at that level. It's good to also see that they were brought in to see you and hear of this condition during this time in their training.

I hope that it was the coughing that caused some aggravation and that this headache will cease in no time at all.

By sharing your experience with this institution, I hope others will be inclined to speak to you further regarding your doctor and treatment so they too can get the help they need.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. (((((hugs)))))

Take care and rest or sleep as much as you need. Keep your vow on being a good patient so you achieve the best outcome possible.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby ke4uzj » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:36 pm

glad you are home, and hope you feel better soon
TO BEAT STRESS:
LIVE BETTER, KISS SLOWER, HUG TIGHTER, BREATHER DEEPER, AND IF ALL ELSE FAILS THROW STUFF : )-

Give us a sense of humor, Lord,
Give us the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
ke4uzj

Postby Lia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:09 pm

thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hugs
lia
One day at a time, sweet Jesus is all that i am asking of you. Show me the way, help me to take, one day at a time.
Lia

post op

Postby mark » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:55 pm

hi kim. this is my first time on this site. my name is mark mck. and i live in phila. i had decompr. surgery in july '04 and the first few days the headaches were not pleasant but went away after about a week. the first 2 days after i got home(after 4 days in hospital) i felt like there was a jackhammer in my head. good thing was you should get some relief SOON. better yet, i have been problem free (and mostly pain-free) for almost 4 yrs. i'm sure you be as well! good luck and if there is anything i can help with as far as questions, feel free to ask.
good luck!!
mark m.
mark

home from surgery...

Postby tinliz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Glad to read that surgery went well Kim and Keesha thanks for your knowledge. I did not know some of what you had written about.

I had decompression on 3/11/08 and just today I feel like I have turned the corner and am on the upswing. I found that once I went off the narcotic drugs I had more pain as the narcotic drugs were stronger and covering up some of the pain. Had a CAT scan on 4/4 (had a lot of dizziness) and nsg put me on a 6 day steroid treatment program to alleviate swelling. Knowing that the scan showed no problem (huge relief!), steroids and Motrin I am finally feeling wow, I think I can be normal again.

Having my dh feeding me, being around when I got lonely, getting my meds, etc for the entire weekend certainly helped too! And I educated one more person about CM.....the pharmacist....

Take care to all recovering ...we will get thru this together..... and thanks.
tinliz

Postby georgiagal » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi, Kim! What a relief it is to know that you're home and doing par for the course on recovery after only 4 days. It's going to be hard to be a good patient, recovery from any surgery just blows! But, listen to your doc and only do what you're allowed to do. Don't push anything, taking it easy is the best thing for you!

How *punk* is your new hairdo??? Good job, too, on talking to all the student docs. Your conversation with just one of them may spark an interest in a new specialty, you never know!

May this next week be easier by the day, don't look too far in advance. One day at a time is best. Glad to see that you're also back to posting. Be a good girl. I'll look forward to your updates!

GG
georgiagal

Postby Vagreeneys » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 am

Hi Kim,
Glad you are home and your recovery is coming along well.

Hope all goes well and relax don't over do it

Heide
SM Syrinx c-5 to t-3 DDD t-10 and t-11 L-4 and L-5
Rhuematoid Arthiritis
Neck Fusion C-3 to C-6
Tavlor cyst
Tethered cord
Vagreeneys

Postby Beverley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 am

Hi Kim,

My hair has grown about and Inch under the hair that was left after their punk rock cut. lol I have taken to brushing in straigh back and using a 3 in straight hair brett in the back to cover the incision part of my head.
If I leave it straight I don't have enough in the back of my head to cover it so it looks strange.

I had those all over headaches for the first week. They were worse if I did not get enough sleep. They seemed to be worse at night when I was trying to get too sleep too. It was hard to get comfortable enough to sleep. But like you said they are different that the headaches before surgery. Dr. Kalhorn told me that the headache was probably from the device that they put your head in to keep it from moving during the surgery. So my thoughts were that it was more like a concusion headache from that. I havn't had a headache for about 4 weeks now. I have a slight one today but I thik it is allergies from the rain we have had for the last few days.

It sounds like your surgery was just like mine. They cut my tonsils down too. I just found that out when I was saw the NS a couple of weeks ago.

Take it easy, especially the bending and lifting. Bending still can make me feel a little dizzy and lifting puts extra pressure on your head and neck. When I got the headaches after surgery, closing my eyes and putting a cool towel over them seemed to help some. I also use a heating pad on my back and shoulders to help me relax when I feel tension.

Sounds like you are doing well. I hope you have a speedy recovery to feeling a bit more normal soon. I am normally at work from about 9-5 give me a call if you just want to chat for a bit.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Return to ASAP Lounge