SM Shunt Information

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: SM Shunt Information

Postby Janice » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 am

This is an older post where Rhonda documented her recovery from shunt surgery. No need to respond to the post, I'm moving to the top so recent shunt recovers can read her progress notes.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby tnglitter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:01 pm

2 Years Post-Op - Shunt Surgery Time for another update! It's been a bit over 2 years since the shunt surgery and I had an MRI the other day, so it is what it is and hopefully everything has stabilized for a good while.

First off, I'm being seen at the VA hospitals in Murfreesboro and Nashville now since I moved to TN, so a whole different world again. They actually have a "Spinal Cord Injury Clinic" here and they will follow me for any treatment I might need for the syrinx. I'm going to be referred to a Urologist (good thing for a check up since I have to literally push in my bladder with my arm to pee). And Pain Management to see if there's something else that can be done to manage my pain, either drug-wise or otherwise.

**** Just a side note here - if you've been taking Klonopin for any length of time - NEVER RUN OUT!!!! During the move I ran out and had to get my prescription refilled from the ARK VA since I hadn't signed into the Murfreesboro VA yet. So I was out for almost 2 weeks waiting on the mail, etc. Sudden withdrawal from Klonopin is HELL! Likely the same can be said of other meds, but Klonopin is the one I had experience with. You DON'T want to go there.

The MRI done 2 days ago was really, really good news!! The syrinx is now just a dot, it doesn't pick up the shunt but it's obviously there and doing a bang-up job! YEAH!!!! The symptoms I had when I last posted here are pretty much still with me. I still have the paralysis from the waist down and that phantom post-op sock is still on my right foot. The paralysis is not complete - difficult to explain how it feels, or doesn't feel as the case may be. :)

I still usually need my cane unless I'm feeling pretty good that day and brave enough to chance the falls. My oldest grandson thinks it's the funniest thing in the world to watch Mimi fall. Happy to entertain..... :) I move slowly with or without my cane so I can watch my feet and the path in front of me at the same time - but I AM walking!

Yes, I would definitely do the shunt surgery again given the same set of circumstances. My doc was the best and the surgery was a huge success! Of course the pain hasn't gone away - if anything, the spinal pain is worse than before. But as long as that shunt does its job and keeps the syrinx from doing further damage, it's a small price to pay. And I'm happy to report that I finally have the chance to test my sex life post-surgery. There is some numbness, but as far as I'm concerned - no REAL damage has been done. :wink:
T Spine SM T8-T12 (9 mm) Syringopleural Shunt & Laminectomy T10/T11 5 Jan 09
C spine Disc bulges/canal narrowing/DDD
L spine Spondylosis/DDD

Mom of 3 daughters & MiMi to 2 grandsons & 1 granddaughter
tnglitter

Postby marymac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 am

Oh Rhonda, so glad you're still going to check in here. You're one of the first people to help when I got dx 2+ years ago. Best wishes for a fast recovery and see you on the other board?
Smiles, love, hugs
m
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby karenb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi All,

Back on January 15, 2009, Rhonda posted:

hickschips wrote:Wendi,
I re-worded and re-posted the "beginner's info" in the other discussion group. Hope it helps. Thanks.

I'm glad I can help out in some small way. I would have LOVED to have found something like this prior to my thoracic shunt placement surgery. It's extremely scary to be faced with just the surgery, let alone what to expect afterwards.

I've been searching for the "beginner's info" on the All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders board, and just can't seem to find it. What name was it posted under?

Thanks!

Karen
karenb

Postby tnglitter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:43 am

T Spine SM T8-T12 (9 mm) Syringopleural Shunt & Laminectomy T10/T11 5 Jan 09
C spine Disc bulges/canal narrowing/DDD
L spine Spondylosis/DDD

Mom of 3 daughters & MiMi to 2 grandsons & 1 granddaughter
tnglitter

Postby razzle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 am

Karen you are on the right thread and the link Hick chips gave you but no topic that actually says '"beginner's info".
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Rhonda & Razzle,

Thank you both for setting me straight.

Karen
karenb

Previous

Return to ASAP Lounge