ALERT ABOUT MRI's

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

ALERT ABOUT MRI's

Postby razzle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:56 am

Last edited by razzle on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: aLERT ABOUT MRI's

Postby jfreema » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 am

That may explain why they didn't use contrast when I was at the NIH even for the CINE MRI. The appointment sheet said if contrast was used that I'd need to send them the results of a kidney function test beforehand.
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Re: aLERT ABOUT MRI's

Postby judyg » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks Roz,
Everytime I've had a MRI with contrast I've had to have a kidney panel done before they'd do it. The MRI people always ask if I've had recent blood tests. Just had to have a blood test bun creatine and GHF (?may not be correct abbrev.) this past friday for a MRI on Tuesday. My blood tests on 7/29 were past the cut off for them to accept. Can be a pain cause it delays the scheduling for the MRI but I'm very happy they check.
Kinda scary what gadolinum can do but until they have something else......
Thanks again Roz
judyg

Re: ALERT ABOUT MRI's

Postby chiarimomma » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Any time you are 40 or over you should have a creatinine (at least) in the last 30 days (that is my hospitals policy) before you are given any contrast agent for MRI or CT. Some facilities require a BUN along with that as well as using those numbers to calculate your GFR. GFR is found by using your creatinine, age, sex and race. We go by creatinine and GFR. If GFR is below a certain number you must have special hydration and meds to ensure no lasting damage to your kidneys. With CT contrast you can have renal failure if your kidneys are not functioning well enough to start filtering it out right away...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, it is measured by the number of moments that take your breath away... ;0)
chiarimomma

Postby tinliz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Not sure how this fits in here but I had a ct skan today and the tech was going to do a contrast on me after the initial skan when she saw at least one kidney stone she did not do the contrast. She was concerned with the kidney and the effect the contrast might have on it and the stones. I was very glad I had a tech who was human and concerned for me.
tinliz

Postby mbgc1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am

They have never run any tesys or asked anything when doing cats or mris with contrast and I am over 40... I have had them done at 3 different places...
mbgc1

Postby dtyree » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 am

Having had about 40-50 CATs and MRIs with about 25-30 done with contrast, too late. But thanks for the info.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby karenb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I've had at least a dozen MRIs done with contrast, a half-dozen CTs done with contrast, 1 MRI done with GAD, and 3 MRAs done with contrast - nobody ever even mentioned this... it's good to know (better now than never).
karenb

Postby chiarimomma » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:47 pm

These specific tests are also lumped in with other labs such as CCPs or BMPs... You may have had them and just didn't realize they are part of some standard lab tests. We look for them through the computer as well as search for any at other facilities in the area. That is our standard practice but varies among hospitals and radiology departments. Often patients have these existing labs in their records so do not need new ones drawn for their test. They may not even realize we looked for them... Perhaps this was the same in your cases...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, it is measured by the number of moments that take your breath away... ;0)
chiarimomma

Postby reedy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:12 am

This is just a general thank you to everybody on the listserver for pitching in with your expertise and experience!

My outpouring of gratefulness is triggered by a recent but unexplained request from my (not very favoured) NS to get a GFR and renal profile before my next MRI. Of course I worried and wondered what this had to do with me, with my problems being in a different fluid system in the body. But I found this thread and now it all makes sense.
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders