marijuana for pain management?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

marijuana for pain management?

Postby amy1021 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey!

I was talking to a close friend the other day, telling her all about the pain I've been experiencing lately. My neck, shoulders, and head have been aching and hurting non-stop lately, and tylenol doesn't seem to be helping much. She suggested, jokingly, that I should try marijuana...at first I laughed at the idea, then I started thinking about it a little more. I'm neither for or against the use of it, but in most situations, given the opportunity, I would likely turn it down..but if I knew it would help, I would start using it in a heartbeat. I know my mother has had a doctor give her permission to try it for her pain with her MS, but she didn't care for it much..the side effects of it made her feel very uncomfortable. But she Did say her pain was minimized.

What are your thoughts? (this may have been discussed before on this board, so I'm sorry if it's a repeat!)

Thanks,
Amy
Chiari 1, 7mm; Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
amy1021

Re: marijuana for pain management?

Postby Graybo » Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 am

Last edited by Graybo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybo

Postby wendi » Tue May 17, 2011 9:44 am

Some people have used it to relieve pain. In some states here in the US it is legal, in others it is not. How about Canada? I say if it helps you, then go for it.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby reedy » Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 am

This has been discussed a number of times on the board. Have you tried searching with all the various spellings of marijuana?

Streetsense used to write quite a lot about it. I did a search on his name and noticed that he hasn't posted since 2008! I've just resurrected a thread in the ASAP Tavern (or whatever its called) about it.

Just type streetsense in the search box and you should get a start to many of his posts. Then follow the threads from there.

e.g. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7049&p=52334&hilit=streetsense#p52334
reedy

Postby Graybo » Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Last edited by Graybo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybo

Postby Graybo » Tue May 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Here's a page about spinal cord disease and medical marijuana http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/learning ... rd-disease
Graybo

Postby amy1021 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for the opinions and links!

I guess my only concern with it, would be the emotional, mental side effects of it. I know that it can be addictive, and withdrawl from it might cause some feelings of depression and anxiety (?). I suppose it's just a case of, it's for some and not for others. It's all a matter of choice and how effective it is for you.
Chiari 1, 7mm; Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
amy1021

Postby ssusan520 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Dear amy1021,

hi my name is susan i found out i had syringomyelia now the doctors really didnt tell me alot about it just gave me pills for the neck and shoulder and headaches now it got to the point where the pain got worse so i got addicted to it the i started looking for pills on the street from people because it was horrible now i dont use them anymore im going to be honest i started smoking marijuana and yes it does take the pain away i dont miss use it like kids and people do. if i didnt have all the pain i wouldnt be smoking i dont even smoke ciggarettes.im not a drug user i use it because i have sm and its not a good feeling to be in pain all the time. if i could i recommend it legally so u wont get in trouble me i have to buy it from the streets because i dont have insurance but if i could get a prescription for it i would. god put the this plant on earth for a reason not to missuse it as for me i thank god for putting this on earth i hope you all understand where im coming from
ssusan520

Postby *Hope* » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

amy1021 wrote:Thanks for the opinions and links!

I guess my only concern with it, would be the emotional, mental side effects of it. I know that it can be addictive, and withdrawl from it might cause some feelings of depression and anxiety (?). I suppose it's just a case of, it's for some and not for others. It's all a matter of choice and how effective it is for you.

I wouldn't think the addiction and possible withdrawl would be any worse than stopping a narcotic pain med. Matter of fact, it's probably easier in some cases. All substances have their pros and cons, and as you said, it's for some and not others. I will say that if it were legal here I would definitely check it out - just as I would any legal substance that'll help me get through my days.

Pain sucks. LOL!
CM1
*Hope*

Postby pseudotumor » Fri May 20, 2011 12:09 am

I've had people joke to me about this too, and living in CO where medical mj is legal, i've thought about it. I don't like the idea of people knowing because it seems shameful to me for some reason, and I find the smell revolting, but I don't know whats worse - being high on pot, or being high on dilautid...
pseudotumor

Postby reedy » Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 am

I don't think there is anything at all to be embarrassed about if you find it helps you. I've known quite a few people who use it constructively to get their pain under control. I lived in Amsterdam for many years and it is not particularly stigmatized there - though many of you also might be surprised to find out it has very little presence in most people's lives there.

I had a friend who had extremely debilitating menstrual cramps and she found that an mj tea did wonders for her.
reedy

Postby reedy » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 am

You say which is more shameful.... but really isn't it just as bad to be completely spaced out with pain? Especially if, with intelligent treatment you can decrease that? I would say you should definitely try alternatives, but also see if you can find a sympathetic and, if possible professional, person to discuss this with. They could act as an external monitor in case you start to overdo it and if they know they physiological chemistry, might keep you from stumbling in to making bad drug mixes inadvertently. It should be someone who ascribes to an evidence-based approach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_medicine.

On the suggestion that since its there it is meant to be used, I would respectfully disagree. The natural world is bursting with toxins. Just because it is a plant with little processing doesn't necessarily make it safe or advisable. So do monitor its effects carefully. You are wise to be cautious but also wise to consider it as an alternative.

Let us know how it works for you.
reedy

Postby wendi » Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 am

Reedy:

That is very interesting that in Amsterdam MJ is not in many peoples lives. It makes for the argument that legalizing it may have the affect of taking away the mystery and intregue of using. Just like where in some places of Europe there being no legal drinking age and they don't have the underage drinking problems our kids do. I think if our Gov't got with the program they would legalize it, tax it and make money off it. It would help with prison crowding and help with our national debt too. Sometimes when things are available it takes the fun out of wanting it.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby debh » Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 pm

well, i am an observer of someone who does this-he is not the same person after a smoke-he needs it first thing in the morning-it causes anxiety-alters blood pressure and in my opinion whom u are-i see it first hand-i am in pain-i take xanax for my anxiety -it has side effects that i am now getting off it-i mj to be addictive and it is illegal-calling it natural is just an easy wat out-anywhoot u dont know what was put in extra in the mj-u cant trust everyone-it is just a temporary fix-pain meds at least have time release
debh

Postby syrinx48 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:42 pm

In Holland we are talking about Medical MJ. Your GP can prescribe this for painmanagement and you can get this with a prescription at a pharmacy. Ofcourse their are ' coffeshops' where you can buy it, but they are very limited, and the number of coffeeshops are diminishing because of politics.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Next

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders