headaches returning

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

headaches returning

Postby jinglebells » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,
I am looking for info with regards to headaches returning after surgery.I had my operation two years ago in October.Up until recently i have had no headaches.The past three days I have had them banging headaches with burning behind the eye again ,
just like before my op.Has anyone else had them return ? Is this anything to be concerned about? My gp is quite dismissive and tends to refer to DD all the time so i am not too keen to see him.Many thanks for any information,
Jinglebells
jinglebells

Re: headaches returning

Postby dtyree » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi jingle, have you been in touch with your NS? It could be a csf leak. After my surgery I developed hydrocephalus, too much fluid on the brain and symptoms returned. Or might consider a visit with a neuro opthomologist.

Take care,

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby donny » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Jinglebells,
have you had your eyes checked recently? you mentioned that you have burning behind your eyes, they can with a good eye exame see if your pressure is high. if thats the case you would need to see a NL. And it would rule out eyesight problems.
My wife had surgery in 05 and tethered cord surgery a couple years ago, her HA were gone for just a few weeks, her nl says she has fibromyalgia which is causing the HA.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby jinglebells » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 am

Hi , dtyree and donny
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your advice.dtyree,did you develop hydrocephalus soon after your operation? I know that several people have csf leaks soon after surgery,but is it possible after two years to develop these problems ? I know from my 6 month post op scan that i have a post surgical meningocele at the base of the skull,where there seems to be quite a puddle of csf that goes behind the skull.I was told by the nurse that this is normal after this type of surgery and nothing needed to be done about it.
Once again dtyree and donny,thank you.
Jinglebells
jinglebells

Postby dtyree » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 am

The hydrocephalus and symptoms started about a year and half after decompression surgery. My great NL at the time ordered an MRI which showed the problem. I had gone from little fluid on the brain to too much, just can't win sometimes. But the VP shut is doing the trick. Hope you can find out what is going on. Best to ya

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders