Very weird symptom??

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Very weird symptom??

Postby Fraggle Nan » Fri May 25, 2007 9:08 am

Howdy,

This just happened to me, I hope someone could shed some light on this because it is very weird!

I just got out of the shower, laid down on the bed and I could feel-what I thought was-my heart beating/throbbing in my back! But I am not sure it was my heart beating because it would pulse 3x then rest, it lasted about 1minute or so.

When I got to my feet, I had a very very mild headache, (now it's gone). I have never felt anything like this before.

Any thoughts? Any body else had this?

Thanks
Nan
Fraggle Nan

Postby unicorns » Fri May 25, 2007 10:41 am

Funny you should mention that - I have had the same thing happen - I think it's the spinal fluid in the syrinx (the spinal fluid moves with your heartbeat). I often can't get comfortable because of it. It's not painful, just annoying.
Barbara
unicorns

Postby Fraggle Nan » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 am

Yes, exactly. I was hoping someone else had experienced this because my first thought was spinal fliud. You are right no pain, just annoying.

It truly amazes me sometimes at what the body can do!

Thanks,
nan
Fraggle Nan

Postby Snoozie » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 am

Yeah I get those too. It feels like an alien in my back. At first I thought it was my heartbeat and I was feeling it in my back but now I know it is just another of those weird things that happens to us. Maybe someone else here will have an official name for it.

I have noticed mine worse after a hot shower too. Usually it happens at night when I am trying to relax and get sleep to come. :lol: :lol: Yes I am laughing at trying to get sleep to come because it usually hides from me no matter how tired I am...Sue :D
Snoozie

Postby lisa40 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:47 pm

yeah me too , I thought it was heart till it was diagnosed a syrinx.
lisa40

Postby jjames » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:37 pm

As a CPR instructor, I always tell the people in my class that your heart sits pretty much in the middle of your body, so to think that you can only feel the pain and beating in the front is incorrect. Women experiencing heart attacks usually feel the pain only in their back. I assume that what you are describing falls along those same lines.

jjames
jjames

Postby Janice » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:06 am

I have this same feeling and even though it frequently happens during the day while sitting it happens every night when I'm trying to get to sleep. It is extremely annoying but there are times when it feels like, and here's my description of it "two sticks standing together and a round bubble bursting through". I know it sounds weird but that's the closest description I can give it. I change positions all night hoping this feeling will stop and eventually it does because at some point I fall asleep for a while. I get so frustrated every night but what else can I do because it's always there.

Janice
Janice

Is this a common symptom?

Postby Lady Of The Lake » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:41 am

Hi,
I'm new here and am wondering if this is a common symptom of SM?
I haven't had a diagnosis yet, but have most of the listed symptoms I found so far.
My back is not swollen much, though I have been taking 800mg, 3x/day for the past 3 weeks. The symptoms have been getting better though the prednisone is wearing off and my hip is starting to bother me again.

Thanks for a response.

Lady Of The Lake
Lady Of The Lake

Postby Tidbit » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 am

I used to have that before I had my shunt put in. I always wondered what it was!
Tidbit

Postby kathymichelle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Completely OT...and sorry about that..

My family built a boat called the Lady of the Lake for Chelan WA are you in that area?

Sorry and back to the thread.
kathymichelle

Postby mac » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Lady of the Lake, welcome to the board!! You are taking 800 mg of what? Or did I miss that? (completely possible!) I'm sure you will find a lot of help here, finding your way to your diagnosis. That sometimes is the hardest part of the journey.

Janice, I can only tell you that I also find it hard to put the NL sensations and symptoms to descriptive words! I try to tell my dh but can't find words...this morning, I said, well, the closest I can come to some of it is it's like having all over flu sx every day.

welcome once again
mac
mac

Postby Janice » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Thanks Mac. The frustration from this whole experience in the last 8 months is wearing down and I'm just not going to let this get the best of me even with the wheelchair.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Take care,

Janice
Janice

Postby Debbieducati » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Not sure if anyone has told you this yet but you have a major artery that sits against your spine in your abdomen called the Vena Cava. You should check with your doctor and tell him or her your symptom to make sure this artery is ok. You can have the same or similar symptom if this artery has a problem. And yes you can get a headach after because of a rush of blood to the brain. When ever any of us get a new strange symptom you should tell your doctor. I did and they still did not find the probelm until I was in emergency having emergency surgery for Hpyloric ulcer perforation. Yes they do make errors all though you should let them know. Good luck to you I hope you are ok. Love to all

Debbieducati
Debbieducati

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders