sympathetic nerve block for SM burning pain

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

sympathetic nerve block for SM burning pain

Postby rsinha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 am

Has anyone here taken Sympathetic Nerve blocks, like Stellate Ganglion Block, to relieve the burning pain and headaches? If so, did it help at all, or did it worsen the pain?
Thanks, Rachna
Rachna (Decompressed in 1997, Cranioplasty in 2002)
rsinha

Re: sympathetic nerve block for SM burning pain

Postby Janice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 am

Hi Rachna & Welcome!

I think Glenna gets nerve blocks but I'm not sure of the type. Don't quote me, but I think she said they provide enough relief to allow her to keep working.

Is this the path you're considering as your next treatment plan? Have you discussed this with your pain management doc?

If you go ahead with this treatment, pop back in and let us know how it worked out.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby rsinha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:27 pm

My surgeon actually has said to try out this particular block, but I'm scared of the side-effects and what if my pain ends up worsening after the block. At this stage I'm just trying to get as much info as I can.

Thanks, Rachna
rsinha

Postby Janice » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Have you tried any meds that help to provide some relief? Meds like Lyrica, Neurontin, etc?
GOD Bless!
Janice

Janice

Postby rsinha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah, I hav been on 1800 mg Neurontin + 50 mg Amityrptiline for few years, but for the past few months, the burning pain in my arm and the heaaches worsen if I use my left hand even a little bit. As a result I'm not able to do any kitchen work where both hands are needed. My hubby has been doing cooking every single day for few months now and that frustates me. Not sure what is the next step I should take, i.e shoukd i go for the increase in oral meds or look at the nerve shot options. :cry:
Rachna
rsinha

Postby Janice » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:33 pm

When was your last MRI? It might be time for a new one just to see if any changes have occurred. In the meantime, you could try the increase while you're researching nerve blocks. That might give you enough time to see if the increase provides the relief you need, and/or if your MRI provides any useful information (if you get one).

Whatever you decide, I hope you're able to experience a significant amount of relief.

Take care, hope your day is manageable.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Janice

Postby tennesseewalker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Rachna. I had my PFD in 1996. For the past 5 years I've had burning, stinging, FREEZING pain in my right arm and hand, made worse by any movement or use of the hand. I was diagnosed with RSD. In 2007, I had 2 stellate ganglion blocks, 10 days apart. Neither helped. Lately my left thumb has joined the party.

The only thing that has helped my burning & stinging is my spinal cord stimulator. It took more than 3 years to try everything my NL could think of to help me. SCS was suggested only as a last resort treatment.

I hope the blocks help you. Keep us posted.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby rsinha » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

tennesseewalkerand and Janice,
Thankyou so much for all the information. My surgeon is suspecting the same with my pain, although not full RSD. But my pain has similar features, cold hand, burning pain, the fingers turning blue at times and pain worsens after even slightest movement of my hand. Since damage to Sympathetic nerves can cause these symptoms and are suspected behind RSD as well, he propsed the blocks.
Did you try the mirror therapy that have heard helps contain RSD and it's pain?

Thanks, Rachna
rsinha

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders