Anyone have sciatica?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Anyone have sciatica?

Postby wendi » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 am

I have been having major pain with this for 16 days now. I have had 3 toradol injections, 1 epidural steriod injection, 2 diludid thru IV and nothing helps! My pain is down the front of my leg, in my groin and my thigh is numb to my knee. They say my bulging discs in my Lspine is pressing on that nerve causing it, but there seems to be no help. Someone suggested an inversion table and/or decompression which this table does for you. Any other suggestions our there? I am about to go crazy as I am used to my other pain, but I can't live my life laying down. I come into the office in the morning and sit on my heating pad and have to go home. Driving my stick shift car is such a joy as it is my left leg. I have an appt, that was set earlier with my PCP tomorrow and am hoping she can help. I had to deal with one really rude ER Dr, who I wanted to slap his face, he thougth I was a drug seeker and I know that narcotics won't help this pain as I am already on them and they aren't helping. He refused to do a CAT scan. I just had an MRI on 8/18, but did not have this pain then and am concerned.

Please help, you guys are smarter than those Drs.

Thanks!
Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Re: Anyone have sciatica?

Postby dtyree » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Wendy woo!

I am a former sciatica sufferer. The surgery cured my ails. This past May had lumbar fusion, rods and screws (should look like Frankenstein by Halloween) insertion of a disc to help with disc height issues and he cleaned out 4 nerve openings in the spinal column. The nerves were being pinched by build up of bone matter, the sciatic being one of them. So, no more sciatica. The pain was constant, starting in the lower back, down both buttocks, into the back thighs, popping up in both calves ending in the toes (no where else to go after that). So go ahead and getchaone, it worked. There was one pinched nerve that did not show up on a Feb MRI, the surgeon discovered it during the operation and fixed it while he was there, saved a few dollars on that.

I now have 3 criteria for visiting the ER, have to be: bleeding profusely, something broken that duct tape will not help, or unconscious. Went there for pain, the med was a joke.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby razzle » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm

OMG sciatica here too , It like to kill me . I didnt have the injections , did have Torodol for pain but went to PT for 4 weeks and they fixed it. Yeah . PT works with sciatica all the time and can give you exercises to do at home to keep it from coming back. cant believe the dr didnt send you to PT. Roz
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby wendi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Guys. I have it in a weird spot. It hurts in my hip and my thigh, my knee and inside thigh. My thigh is numb and I am afraid of cauda equina syndrome which it can turn into. I can't have surgery right now. Thanks for the info. I really can't afford therapy right now either as it costs me $35 a copay each visit. Any idea where I can go to see these excercises?

Thanks!

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby dtyree » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 am

One site I trust is Mayo Clinic-google. Went to core strenthening exercises, about 15 of them, which was recommended by the PT I had. Could not affor it either, $40 copay per visit. My NS wanted PT 3x's a week for 6 weeks, no money bags hiding here anywhere. From the description of your pain, sounds like another nerve being pinched. Cauda equina-if you begin loosing control of bowel and urinary functions, run to the ER immediately-very serious.
Take care

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby razzle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 am

there are several exercises on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2CAHJG ... re=related

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby syrinx48 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Wendi,

Yes, I had sciatica. I wrote had, because now I am 10 days post OP. It all started in January. Went to manual PT and THE pain was still there but bearable. In April I had a MRI which showed a synovial cyst at L5, with compression. At that time my pain was still bearable (went up and down), and we made An agreement with my NS that next time the pain became worse again I had to be operated and remove the synovial cyst. A week and a half before our holiday my pain came back. My paindoc said he wanted to to a nerve block, so I could go on holidays. The nerve block lasted à week and a half, and the pain was back in full. Only by then I was in Portugal in our first hotel ( we wanted to make à found trip).

I called the Hospital and they already made preparations for the OP for when I got back. Had my OP on the 4th of October. I am still à lot of time in bed. The strength in both legs are minimum. I have PT at home twice a week. Have all sorts of helping aids to move myself forward. Little by little I recover.

Next week I am in Hospital again for the Ketamin infusion. We aranged to get the PT in Hospital for this is another Hospital where I was for my OP, and explained everything. They already knew about the synovial cyst, for that was this paindoc I got the nerveblock from.

I hope for you that in the meantime your pain has subsided. You only has to keep in mind that at one day you will have an OP. Did you have à MRI and do they know where your sciatica is from?

Hang in there and I really do hope the pain is gone, for I know how it feels......

Gentle hugs
Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby razzle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 am

anne are yuo not on FB anymore ? Miss you

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby wendi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:26 am

Ok, Thank Goodness for my PCP as it was not sciatica. The old saying, they think everything is my spine because my spine is so messed up. My PCP comes in and says, boy you look like SH***< Yes, I have been in horrible pain now for 17 days. She does a complete exam, makes me walk and presses on my left hip. She says, I think you have bursitis in your hip. I am going to inject you there. I had to stand up for this, but at this point, I did not care what happened to me as I had been suffering for so long. She said, if I am right, you will have relief for 5-6 hours, then you will hate me as it will wear off, then tomorrow, the next shot will start to work. It was just as she said. It wore off about 6pm that night, then around 10:30-11am the next day, I started to feel better. I still have some pain in that leg and I can't lay on my left side, but I feel so much better. People have remarked that I look better too. It is amazing what a smart Dr can do!

They thought what they did because I have 2 bulging discs at L3 & L4, but she said with the amount of toradol and steriods I had, I should have relief if that is what it was, but with bursitis, unless you get right into the bursa, no amount of steriods will help. I am feeling much better and I thank everyone for there concern.

If the stupid ER Dr would have listened to me and even maybe examined me, he may have found this a week earlier, Got my flue shot same day, so had so many injections the past few weeks, I feel like a pin coushion.

Roz, I am really not on FB, only signed on, but never go on.

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby razzle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:40 am

well glad to hear it wasnt sciatica . and I was asking Anne about FB

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 am

@Wendy, glad it wasn't sciatica. @Roz Yes I left FB, sorry that you Miss me! You can always PM me.......

Annemarie who is in Hospital right now, getting Ketamin for painmedication. Feeling à bit blurry.
syrinx48

Postby wendi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

Oops, sorry Roz, got mixed up.

Annemarie, I do hope the Ketamine treatment works for you. That is some heavy stuff! I know why you have to go to the hospital to have it. I was ready for an epidural due to all the pain I was in. I wanted them to numb me from the waist down or have someone just put me down like an injured animal, it hurt so bad. I am still having some pain, but it is no where near as bad. The funny thing is, now that my leg feels better, my lower back is killing me! I am dealing with that as it is pain I am used to. How sad is that? We all have been there. We have pain we are used to, but give us some new horrible pain and we can't stand it.

Take care, everyone and thanks so much to everyone who offered their help!

Wendi
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders